• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

fish keeper 7

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
so im re-stocking up on my test kits and dont want to get anything i dont need and dont want to get anythng i wont use.

so heres the scenario:
pretend i have everything, fish, corals, lps sps, softies leathers, whatever, the works, i dont know what im going to get fish wise still making the list and refining it. but i want to get a wide variety of evetyrthing, i have a 55g rectangle and a 46 g bow front, 55 with 45 lbs of LR and 46 with 55 lbs of LR. the 46g is my main display takn, dimensions are better -=] but yeah so im planning on getting PH,Ammonia,calcium and idk what else i should get (nbitrate and nitrrite are based off ammonia so idk how important they reallly are..)
Magnesium?
phosphate?
strontum?
silicate?
KH/ALK?
iodine/iodide?
whats necessary? and what should it be?

also how often should i test and what should these levels be?

calcium 350-450
ammonia 0
ph 7.8-8.2
nitrite nitrate 0

thats all i know about the testing and what is ideal for my tank

my levels are
calcium 410
ammonia .50

i have ph booster, purple up and amquel nitrite-ate ammonia remover, also liquid calcium.
what buffers would you recommend? use? do you have a schedule on when you usually use them?

:givebeer::givebeer::givebeer::givebeer::givebeer::givebeer::chefico::givebeer::givebeer::givebeer::givebeer:

Last edited:

SnakeEyes27

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
First off I'm new.

From reading and asking around i believe you will also want a phosphate test (for algae) and the KH/ALK for the corals.

Again Im new and dont know about the trace elements, you may need more...

redbora

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
31   0   0
a must:
ph, nitrite, nitrate, phos, ammonia

if you have lps and sps:
KH/ALK

all the others are up to you. but a rule to live by is test what you dose.

personally i don't like adding buffers and unnecessary chemicals. if your on your water changes you should be fine with trace. but if you do go into lps and sps a cal reactor is what you should be looking at.

Ricardo_Jorge

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello fish keeper,

i think the most important are:

NO3
PO4
MG
CA
ALK
SG

For LPSs and SPSs i recommend this:

NO3 ~ 0
PO4 ~ 0
MG 1350 / 1450
CA 420 / 450
ALK 8,4 / 12,6 dKH
SG 1025 / 1026

IMO the best test kit is:
NO3 ~ Salifert
PO4 ~ ELOS
MG - ELOS
CA - LaMotte
ALK - LaMotte
SG - Refractometer

Anything else, let me know,
Hug

fish keeper 7

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
thats perfect, thank you, any supplements you would reccomend? i have some mushrooms some zoos and a open brain. might be getting an acropora soon too.

Ricardo_Jorge

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don?t think supplements are really necessary. Water changes will supply you reef with all basic elements.

In the future, if you have SPSs, Ca, Alk and Mg must be dosed.

Hug

Pinkheine

No More Room :-(
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
A statement along the lines of test kits... don't add what you don't test for. :)

We have a mixed reef with a bit of everything. We test NO3,
PO4, MG, CA, ALK, SG

We use a refractometer for SG. Calibrate it every other month or so just to be sure it's accurate.

And for the other test kits we use API and Salifert (yes many say that API test kits are junk but we've used them for ten years now-- I am a believer that the test kit is only as good as it's user, therefore I am comfortable reading the API and gauging the results with the experiences we've had).

fish keeper 7

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
4   0   0

NO3 ~ 0
PO4 ~ 0
MG 1350 / 1450
CA 420 / 450
ALK 8,4 / 12,6 dKH
SG 1025 / 1026

NO3 ~ Salifert
PO4 ~ ELOS
MG - ELOS
CA - LaMotte
ALK - LaMotte
SG - Refractometer
exactly what im looking for, thanks a million!

ok so refractometer, i have one, ive used it for 6 months, i loved it, but i need to calibrate it because the readings are completely off, i just recently used my hydrometer because i felt something was off and i was right. any gadvice on how to get it back to normal again?

tomtoothdoc

GOLFER WANNABE
Rating - 100%
390   0   0
ok so refractometer, i have one, ive used it for 6 months, i loved it, but i need to calibrate it because the readings are completely off, i just recently used my hydrometer because i felt something was off and i was right. any gadvice on how to get it back to normal again?

usually the refractometer has a screw for adjustment, either via a mini screw driver or a thumb screw. get some distilled water put it in a water bottle and leave it in the sump or the tank for about 20-30 min. so the temperature will be about the same. add the distilled water on the lense plate and let that sit for a minute. turn the screw either direction until it reads 0. and that's it. now the refractometer is calibrated to the same temp. as the tank water you are testing.

Ricardo_Jorge

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Fish,

If you have a refractometer, use it.

buy distilled water in a drogstore any calibrate the refractometer to SG = 0. Just this.

Hug

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
you might want to add pH to the list, range 8.0 - 8.4

better off getting the Pinpoint Monitor for this

Hello fish keeper,

i think the most important are:

NO3
PO4
MG
CA
ALK
SG

NO3 ~ 0
PO4 ~ 0
MG 1350 / 1450
CA 420 / 450
ALK 8,4 / 12,6 dKH
SG 1025 / 1026

NO3 ~ Salifert
PO4 ~ ELOS
MG - ELOS
CA - LaMotte
ALK - LaMotte
SG - Refractometer

Anything else, let me know,
Hug

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: