AriMiko43

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
78   0   0
Is Texas holey rock ok to use in a reef set up? I have a brand new Sea Max 130 tank that I just set up and don't want to use live rock due to hitchhikers. I found a nice piece of Texas holey rock that I want to put in the tank. If I do the Texas rock and add a shrimp into the tank to rot away will it eventually become live rock?

2slo4me

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
45   0   0
you would prolly be better off with lace rock... goes for about 2-3 bucks a lb at most fish stores. dont forget u are starting a cycle from scratch with this type of rock... id go with live rock if u want to cycle the tank faster

House of Laughter

Super Moderator
Staff member
Vendor
Rating - 100%
310   0   0
We recently set up a 90g tank for one of our customers in Brooklyn and used mostly Texa holey and reef rocks from CaribSea. We seeded it with about 30lbs of fully encrusted and cured marco rock from our system.

Last week .05 Nitrates and no detectable ammonia. Tank has been up for a month now and a good amount of pictures will be up in our portfolio within the month.

HTH<

house

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: