Mike612

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My lfs has had 4 Nautilus for the last few months now. Very cool creatures. I'd love to get a couple some day.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Go Seth!

Nauts are great, but generally not a great home animal.

Mike612

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why are they not great home animals? I don't know much about cephs but I thought that they were the best cephalopods to keep in the home aquarium because their lifespan is much longer than that of the typical octopus or cuttlefish...

leftovers

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are not great because they prefer low light and chilled water between 65-67F. Thus placing them out of reach of most.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mike612":2v4r1wa4 said:
Why are they not great home animals? I don't know much about cephs but I thought that they were the best cephalopods to keep in the home aquarium because their lifespan is much longer than that of the typical octopus or cuttlefish...

They should have a larger than normal tank to prevent jetting into stuff and cracking their shell.
They need a chiller (and prolly would do best with an/alternating warm/cold cycle).
They should be in a species only tank.
Their nutritional needs aren't well understood.
And, frankly, they are pretty boring. Most of the time they stick to something and don't move.
Traditionally they don't do well in home tanks - they don't seem to survive long even though they have a longer lifespan than most cephs.
It really seems that collection (curio and MO) has and is impacting their wild populations.

If you are a ceph enthusiast that is willing to spend the money on a well researched,species only, largish chilled tank for animals that don't do much most of the time, maybe - but definitely not as a 'give it a try' animal.

Mike612

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good to know. I would personally be really interested in keeping them in a species-only tank. They may not move around much, but they're still interesting and unique animals to keep.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Right on. They are incredibly interesting, but not interesting enough for most people. Head over to www.tonmo.com for more info. :D

Petsolutions

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunate that they would eat small fish/inverts put into a tank with them, since the chilled water would lend itself well to something like Catalina gobies as tank mates. However, it is my understanding that they would have a good probability of becoming Catalina snacks. Either way, it is great to see someplace like wired.com doing a video on the Nautilus. Very cool.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thales":8u6ui67s said:
Right on. They are incredibly interesting, but not interesting enough for most people. Head over to http://www.tonmo.com for more info. :D

Are they all collected in traps and brought up from the deep or is there "near" surface collection of them?

Mike612

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From what I understood in the texts that I read, they come up to the surface at night to feed. I would guess that that's when they're collected.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mike612":18wxm08n said:
From what I understood in the texts that I read, they come up to the surface at night to feed. I would guess that that's when they're collected.

Traditionally they have been collected in traps in deeper waters IIRC... I was asking Thales if this has changed (and method.. IE. trap, net, etc ) :)

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends on where they are being collected. They are getting harder and harder to collect at all in Palau. In PI I believe they are still going deep. In Vanuatu they are caught shallow with nets or traps.

In all locations I am aware of, its becoming hard to collect them - they just don't seem to be around. Curio trade and climate change seems to impact their populations a lot, so IMO, these shouldn't be a 'whim' animal.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: