raidernation

JUST REEF BABY!
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
i purchased a deep blue 57 gallon rimless on craigslist upon starting my build i realized it had no plumbing so i started to build the durso standpipe and the "T" return. i purchased the bulkheads from the beautiful but overpriced manhattan aquariums. when i got home to install them i tightened the 1 1/4 to tight and the next day seen my tank leaking from the base. when i looked inside i seen a 9" long crack heading into the overflow and strait to the bulkhead. no investigating needed it is over for this tank unless i have another option. The stand is stock and i re inforced it with 2 - 4s, got 80 lbs of live rock, sump, eheim 1250 (need a 1260) and nac6. For the lights i drilled into the ceiling, hung two white chains 16" apart to hang 2 led sols with 25/25 blue/white 2w on each fixture. well thats as far as i got on my build if anybody has any suggestion on what i can do with this tank if anything at all, thanks.

Custom King

Vendor
Rating - 99.4%
308   2   0
Deep Blue Rimless 57g?

raidernation,

Sorry to hear that really sucks! :headache: I hope that doesn't discourage you and you'll keep the energy going towards a new build.

Good Luck :approve:

KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
Unfortunately the only way to repair a tank is to totally disassemble it and then replace the broken glass with new and re-silicone the entire thing back together again.

Probably your best move is to replace it.
Try posting a Want to Buy thread or even contact MA and let them know what happened, they may/might give you a discount on replacing the tank..worth a try.

Also, bulkheads don't need to be overly tightened, so be careful when doing that.

Sorry things went so badly!

JimmyR1rider

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
48   0   0
Unfortunately the only way to repair a tank is to totally disassemble it and then replace the broken glass with new and re-silicone the entire thing back together again.

Probably your best move is to replace it.
Try posting a Want to Buy thread or even contact MA and let them know what happened, they may/might give you a discount on replacing the tank..worth a try.

Also, bulkheads don't need to be overly tightened, so be careful when doing that.

Sorry things went so badly!

+1

Next tank, tighten the bulkhead nut to hand tight then just snug it up another 1/8 to 1/4 turn or until it feels nice and snug. The rubber washer will do the rest for you.

Last edited:

raidernation

JUST REEF BABY!
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Yetha ks this was more therapeutic post than any thing I devoted my entire spring break to this and honestly felt like crying. The tank was used first gen deepblue black ssylicone. My hunt has started again for a 57 rimless I am officially addicted. I did tighten it a lil much but not extreme knowing that it could crack so I know this tank had to be stressed rest in piece.

Imbarrie

PADI Dive Inst
Rating - 100%
61   0   0
Stay with new tanks. There is no other piece of equipment you will buy in this hobby that you will need to rely on more than the tank.
Anything else you can get used, if you get good deals, but your tank has too much depending on it not to fail.
Going forward get new, these things dont last forever and they are not as sturdy as people think. Especially when we pile rocks and sand and water in them. Then subject them to the vibrations of pumps and powerheads.

I really am sorry to hear your tank failed, but think about this in the long run and it could have been worse. It could have been the much bigger tank you may be upgrading to in the future.

raidernation

JUST REEF BABY!
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
thanks all for your comfort and my depresion lasted 24 hours. i just posted a feedback on manhattan aquariums and let me tell you i love this place but hate it alot less. i am back online with a brand new 57 edge deep blue. thanks to my mami seeing my face that morning i found my leaking 57 she seen me like she has not seen me in worse life to life situations so she told me she would sell the house for a new tank and here we are in an alley with a new 57...lmfao!!!!

back to manhattan aquariums i choose not to say more O. G. staff is great but my newbie a$z and a staff member that dont know nothing sold me something that let me to my doom but im here and with a brand new 57 that has all the parts it should. like ibarrie said like new is the only way to go, unless it has the plumbing

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: