DrHarryLopez

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
32   0   0
I just dont think i have enough flow in my main display tank. With the cost of stream pumps ($450-$800) i'm thinking about an over the tank closed loop for the added flow.

I figure I'd buy a very strong high head high efficiency external pump 1.5"-2" inlet/outlet. Possibly the dolphin amp master diamond abrasive proof 90
pump model 6250 (type 3)

DP62503_99.jpg

The plan is 2- 1.5" Intake/overflows over the back of the tank down to the pump then back up n over returns out of 4,6,or even 8 gate valve manifold to 1/2" or 3/4" outflows with flow accelerators as photo below.
Anyone with experience?

FT0033_1.jpg

PV2.jpg

Last edited:

qy7400

Rating - 100%
28   0   0
Well the good news is there really is no head pressure on a closed loop, even with the over the top so a high pressure pump is not needed; the down side vs. the Tunze is heat and power. The Dolphin pump you listed will pull 517W for 6250 GPH; 2 Tunze 6125 will cost the same, give you the same 6250 GPH but at 50W and the ability to move them easier as corals fill in.

masterswimmer

Old School Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 99.6%
448   2   0
$550 = Dolphin Ampmaster 6250 Pump (ballpark pricing) (6250 gph flow)
$150 = 6 Penductors/Eductors (@ $25 ea.)
$50 = 6 - 3/4" Gate Valves Sch. 40
$50 = misc. plumbing pieces to complete closed loop
----------------------
$800

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

$750 = 2 VorTech MP40w ($375 ea.) (3,200 gph flow for each MP40w x 2 = 6,400 gph)

The two MP40w's will permit you to have the pumps 'communicate' with each other wirelessly and utilize less than 60w total electric. The flexibility you'll have with regard to placement will only be restricted by your imagination, rockwork and coral growth. And the flexibility you'll have with flow generated and wave motion is unsurpassed with the MP40w's......not even attainable with the Dolphin.

The electric used by the Dolphin could be as high as 540w (4.5 amps x 120v).

The outright cost of the equipment could actually be less for the VorTech's, as the pricing I listed for the Dolphin setup was an estimate, but close. However, it wouldn't take very long to run that closed loop at 540w for your monthly electric bill to suck the greenbacks out of your pocket faster than a Hoover on a pile of ashes. :)

My opinion, rethink that closed loop setup and take all the factors into consideration before making your final decision.

Good luck,
Russ

Last edited:

tynman

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
Smart move on that!!! LOL I have 2 mp20's and they work great not as good as the mp 40 's cause they dont have the wireless communication.. But good luck..

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: