jejton

Rating - 100%
26   0   0
Everytime I think I finally sealed the leaks in my sump, I fill it up test it ( or put it back online and find out the next morning ) I find another leak. I bought some Weldon - the thin and thick ones - and ran a bead along every seam and left it for a week. Filled it up an hour ago and found one damn leaky corner so I emptied it, yet again, and will let it dry and just pour that stuff all over that damned corner and hope it does the trick.:irked::irked::arg::letitallo:help::smash::type::type::banghead::banghead::banghead:

tunicata

Tunicate Tamer
Rating - 100%
163   0   0
hm, where did you go for the weldon? I live in Essex, and plan on going to Acme in parterson , but if there is a place with better office hours (and not too far) that'd be nice!

jejton

Rating - 100%
26   0   0
I live in Suffolk so I went to Acme Plastics ( I believe that's their name but i found it on a thread here ) in Westbury. BTW the newts are still available if you have anyway of picking them up ( or getting someone else to pick them up for you ).

Rating - 99.1%
225   2   0
Everytime I think I finally sealed the leaks in my sump, I fill it up test it ( or put it back online and find out the next morning ) I find another leak. I bought some Weldon - the thin and thick ones - and ran a bead along every seam and left it for a week. Filled it up an hour ago and found one damn leaky corner so I emptied it, yet again, and will let it dry and just pour that stuff all over that damned corner and hope it does the trick.:irked::irked::arg::letitallo:help::smash::type::type::banghead::banghead::banghead:

Did you wash it with fresh water to make sure all the salt goes away?
Did you see a big gap of where it leaks? If so, you need something else. Neither the #3, #4, nor the #16 will work. Use E6000 to smear over it and let dry 24 hours. You may consider add a strip of acrylics over that seam.

ZZROCOOL

BIG ROCK SMALL FISH
Rating - 100%
3   0   0

JUST BUY A NEW SUMP

jhale

ReefsMagazine!
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
I agree if it's causing that much trouble just find another one.

maybe when it's offline you can fix it and give it to someone who can use it.

jejton

Rating - 100%
26   0   0
I've considering buying a new sump and am keeping my eyes open but cant spend a whole lot of $$$ on one right now so will give this one more try.
Wingo - No visible gap. It is a slow leak. There is already a strip in that corner from the member who built it and I imagine that is causing the problem. What is that stuff you mentioned and where can I buy it ?

jejton

Rating - 100%
26   0   0
Did you wash it with fresh water to make sure all the salt goes away?
Oh and I did hose it down but I guess not thorough enough.

The problem with a new sump is that I have to make sure it works with my plumbing. I dont want to do redo all the plumbing from scratch and it also has to fit within the stand. I dont know if a standard glass tank would work for me. Oh well I'll give it one more try and see what happens.

KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
A few questions...
Did the prior owner add the acrylic strip to the inside or outside? Can you possibly add one to the opposite side?
Are you able to remove the sump from under your DT? Are you sure the leak is coming from that particular corner or could it possibly be 'wicking' from a location you have not tried to reseal? If you can remove it (or at least lift it up a bit).. try placing a paper towel under it and see where the dampness first appears.
If it's only a small seaming the Weldon # 16 (then coated with the #3 or #4) should be able to seal it. I think Wingo was suggesting the other glue if the gap was wide :)

jejton

Rating - 100%
26   0   0
A few questions...
Did the prior owner add the acrylic strip to the inside or outside? Can you possibly add one to the opposite side?
Are you able to remove the sump from under your DT? Are you sure the leak is coming from that particular corner or could it possibly be 'wicking' from a location you have not tried to reseal? If you can remove it (or at least lift it up a bit).. try placing a paper towel under it and see where the dampness first appears.
If it's only a small seaming the Weldon # 16 (then coated with the #3 or #4) should be able to seal it. I think Wingo was suggesting the other glue if the gap was wide :)

The previous owner ( Meschaefer - this is not a reflection on him because for all I know it happened when I was transporting it or something ) added a small 3x1 strip in each corner ( I could be mistaken as I'm not looking at it now but I do believe there is one going vertically in each corner ). The sump is not in the stand currently. I emptied it when I noticed the leak and then hosed it, dried it and did the newspaper test, then ran Weldon #16 along each seam ( might as well since it was empty ) and then #3 or #4 ( again its not in front of me ) along each seam including one of the permanent bafffles as it was separated from the side. All of the other seams are now fine but this one. There is no visible gap in that seam so I will try the process again tonite and hopefully tomorrow it will work. I dont want to add any CUC until this is all solved but on the bright side the tank has already cycled ( including all the sump rock which is now in a rubbermaid ) and going through what I think is a diatom blook - brown film covering everything.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: