nionyc24

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hi, I have a couple smaller tanks set up especially for shrimp breeding. right now i just have Lysmata amboiniensis (white banded cleaner shrimp) pairs. but i would like to get my hands on a more exotic genus/species, Thor amboinensis. if anyone has any info on where i can acquire some breeding specimens or at least some info on them, please advise. my email is [email protected]

thanks in advance! :wink:

FMarini

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've seen these shrimp occasionally at LFS.
For acquiring these types of specimens on the spot you might want to contact randy at themarinecenter.com , he has people at warehouses around the US, and can usually get rare stuff frequently. Just be prepared to pay for his access and connection. You might want to check out his website and cross our fingers that they may have them in.
Otherwise, try to get a local connection and order them.
That particular speciman T. amboinensis I've seen recently, you might check out a fw LFS in your area
As for info on them, what is it you'd like? before you ask have you checked out the breeders registry?(do a google search please)
frank

nionyc24

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks so much frank!

per your suggestion of themarinecenter.com, i checked but they didnt hav the shrimp in their stock list and so i contacted them, i have communicated with them before for other livestock, and like you said they can get it but they mentioned if they do it wont be in great quantity (said they dont see more than a few at one time). well their price is rather reasonable at $18 a shrimp. so i'll see how many they can locate for me and then decide. thing is, for other specimens i've inquired about, just like you warned, it sounded like they don't necessarily have the fish/critter they offer but they can get it, and understandably make a signigicant profit on the connection/access/rarity/special request. example: white tangs. :)

thanks again, i am also continuing my search for a backup source, maybe try a couple LFS here in NYC, and then do my best to purchase at least a pair.

hmmm, next concern, are thor amboinensis sexually dimorphic, hermaphrodites, or what?
:roll:

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: