tomtoothdoc

GOLFER WANNABE
Rating - 100%
390   0   0
what size is the tank?
what are the fish you already have in there?
are there any other tangs in the tank?
are you qt'ing them?

i would recommend qt'ing them to observe any problems with pathogens or eating.

if there aren't any other established tangs in there and the tank is fairly large, there shouldn't be a problem introducing those tangs at the same time.

generally as long as they are not the same species, similar body shape or similar color, they should do fine.

feed the tank, turn off the lights, wait for the other fish to go to sleep and then release the krackens.....lol

KaeSean

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what size is the tank?
what are the fish you already have in there?
are there any other tangs in the tank?
are you qt'ing them?

i would recommend qt'ing them to observe any problems with pathogens or eating.

if there aren't any other established tangs in there and the tank is fairly large, there shouldn't be a problem introducing those tangs at the same time.

generally as long as they are not the same species, similar body shape or similar color, they should do fine.

feed the tank, turn off the lights, wait for the other fish to go to sleep and then release the krackens.....lol

Lol, okay

46 Bowfront
No Tangs
Two Chromis, Fire Fish, Mandarins, Copperband Butterfly And Also Introducing Percula Clowns At The Moment

oh207

Advanced Reefer
Apex Freak
Rating - 100%
78   0   0
Definitely QT them. I've had a bad experience with a hippo tang. He looked fine for a week in QT and then I place in my main tank. About 2 weeks later he started showing signs of ich!
I had hell to capture him and then treat with Copper.

KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
Lol, okay

46 Bowfront
No Tangs
Two Chromis, Fire Fish, Mandarins, Copperband Butterfly And Also Introducing Percula Clowns At The Moment

You have too many fish in there already, never mind introducing 2 TANGS.

Tangs require a tank a minimum of 4' long to thrive. A 46G tank is too small for either of these fish.

The best thing you can do for your tank - and those 2 tangs - is take them back to the store and return them.
You already lost a fire fish and you don't know what it died of, yet you are adding 4 more fish today? (with no mention of QT'ing any of them..)

You sincerely need to slow down and ask questions before you purchases anything else.

What LFS is selling you all of these fish without asking what size tank you are putting them into and what is already in in there?

KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
Definitely QT them. I've had a bad experience with a hippo tang. He looked fine for a week in QT and then I place in my main tank. About 2 weeks later he started showing signs of ich!
I had hell to capture him and then treat with Copper.

1 week is not enough time to QT a fish. To be reasonably sure the fish doesn't have ich, you would need to QT an absolute minimum of 4 weeks so the parasite can go through it's life cycle stages to see if it appears on the fishes body (when people usually realize their fish have ich) before it drops off in its next stage.

oh207

Advanced Reefer
Apex Freak
Rating - 100%
78   0   0
1 week is not enough time to QT a fish. To be reasonably sure the fish doesn't have ich, you would need to QT an absolute minimum of 4 weeks so the parasite can go through it's life cycle stages to see if it appears on the fishes body (when people usually realize their fish have ich) before it drops off in its next stage.

Lesson learned...

MatthewScars

Guns, Razors, Knives.
Rating - 100%
59   0   0

Im adding 5 tangs to my 120 this week :D

I totally agree with the rest of what you said KCz, but 4 weeks seems a little excessive. Plus you have to put into account that we live in NYC and space for a QT tank isnt always there. So you have to do what you can.

That being said, QT for ~2 weeks would be enough time for ich to start growing large enough for the human eye to spot. Normally in fish only QT tanks you should have hypo-salinity and copper right off the bat.

OP - Adding two tangs to a 46g is terrible idea. Dont do it.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: