redtigrinus

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm in the market for a T5 light. But I'm not sure if I should get a dimmable unit or not. Having a dusk to dawn effect is not really that important to me. Besides dusk and dawn effects are there any other benefits to dimmable T5 fixtures? Just not sure whether they are worth the additional cost.

MikeC

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
213   0   0
A plus for me is the ability to have light on the tank for more hours.
You can ramp up for 2.5 hours then run full power for 5 hours,and again ramp down for 2.5 this giving you 10 hours of viewable light on the tank.
I wouldn't feel comfortable having my lights on at full power for 10 hours.

The down side for me dimming t5's is:
A) It shortens the life span of the bulb.
B) you have to burn them in for 50 hours before use.
C) I can't sit in front of my tank in the morning & evening to enjoy the sunrise & sunset effects lol

redtigrinus

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A plus for me is the ability to have light on the tank for more hours.
You can ramp up for 2.5 hours then run full power for 5 hours,and again ramp down for 2.5 this giving you 10 hours of viewable light on the tank.
I wouldn't feel comfortable having my lights on at full power for 10 hours.

The down side for me dimming t5's is:
A) It shortens the life span of the bulb.
B) you have to burn them in for 50 hours before use.
C) I can't sit in front of my tank in the morning & evening to enjoy the sunrise & sunset effects lol

The dusk and dawn effect is not something I really care about. I'm totally ok with the lights just coming on. To your point I'd never see it.

How are you liking your ATI powermodule? Do you know anything about the Giesmann T5 fixtures?

MikeC

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
213   0   0
How are you liking your ATI powermodule? Do you know anything about the Giesmann T5 fixtures?

I like the ATI because I have to........ I paid a lot of money for it ;)
Honestly if I had to do it over again I would skip getting a unit with LED's in it IMOP LED's are very overrated and I only run mine at 30% and are mainly used for dawn & Dusk. I also added 2 48" reefbrights on the sides of the unit for that blue led look at night.
My tank is 30" wide and the Led's down the center of the unit don't have a wide spread.
I love the unit for the T5's.

Sorry I know nothing about the Giesmann.
Good luck!

BKLYNREEF123

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
42   0   0
I have the ATI 6x39w dimmable and I really like it. I agree with MikeC that it's nice to be able to run the lights for longer. The 50 hr burn in period does kinda suck as you have to adjust the photoperiod during that time. According to ati as long as you run a burn in period there is no shortening of life on the bulb, and you can dim them for as long as you like. There are some threads suggesting 1 hr is the longest you should run the bulbs dimmed.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: