• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

vio

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 98.9%
271   3   0
im just wondering about fellow reefers input on using or not using socks
Every tank is dif. just like ppl. some members have large or small system, some only SPS some only LPS, some have aggressive return pumps some NOT, some feed heavy some not. May work for u or not, you have to describe your tank, what u grow, in my opinion......
Pro
Filter Socks keep crystal clear water
Keep clean sump.
Cons
Pain to be clean

Now i try some dif. new design of my sump, NO buffers, NO chambers, just lots of LR then Macro Algae ( help me to hold the detritus) then i use some pumps to blow back to Protein Skimmer, is like time delay for water to go back to Protein Skimmer,once a week i stop the Return Pump and shake the Macro Algae until clear up of detritus , then Protein Skimmer finish the job i try to give up on Socks , many,many times.

tunicata

Tunicate Tamer
Rating - 100%
163   0   0
I just decided to forego socks for a while. I never change them out in less than 3 days and sometimes they end up overflowing. I have the bio pellets and a good skimmer and we'll see how that works.

chemisfun11

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
45   0   0
Everyone's system is different, and habits change. After about a decade of filter socks, I am trying a scrubber for now. So far I am happy just removing algae every 10-14 days and I siphoned some detritus out of my sump after about 6 months. I can't swear by either method right now, but I am happy with my current setup :)

tunicata

Tunicate Tamer
Rating - 100%
163   0   0
I've thought about an algae scubber. I dont grow chaeto very well though. I'm trying a par38 right now 54w, and growth is still slow. I think I will try adding one more light before trying a scrubber.

salpet

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
31   0   0
interesting responses the reason i started this thread is because i always ran my system without socks but i got a new 125 and the sump i got has a place for a sock so i decided to try it out but i noticed that i was getting cyano on my gravel something that never happened with my 75 without socks so i scrapped the sock and 4 weeks later my cyano has slowly started to disappear i guess that if you dont change them every 3 to 4 days they do become a phosphate/ nitrate sponge, besides who needs to spend 6 to 10 dollars every other week, thanks to all that are partaking in this thread,Sal.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: