Paul B

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
Most of my days start off very good as I am retired and to me that means I have succeeded and the rest of my life will be easy. But sometimes something happens to put a small dent in your plans.
I live on Long Island NY and like most people here I have a finished basement. My fish tank is also down there. So this morning I got up and had breakfast like I always do then I head downstairs to check my E Mail on the computer that is also there. As I go downstairs, I start to smell something. It smells like dead fish. Dead fish is a smell you never forget and my Dad owned a sea food market so I grew up with the smell of fish.
As I reach the bottom of the stairs I expect to see my tank drained of water with dead fish floating on the gravel. The lights are still off but I can hear the water in the tank being sloshed around by the pumps, so that is a good sign. But I can still smell dead fish so I assume a large fish jumped out and was rotting. My largest fish is a copperband butterfly so I start to get depressed because I love that fish, not as much as I love Supermodels, but I am kind of fond of it. I take my little critter light and shine it in the tank, and there he is, my copperband, looking healthy but seemingly mad that I woke him. So I search the floor for other dead fish and don't find any. So I start to search the rest of the basement and I go around to the sink, then refrigerator. As I pass the refrigerator, I close the freezer door and continue past it. Then it dawned on me, no, not weather I like Supermodels better than my copperband butterfly, but why I had to close the freezer door. Now I am not a rocket scientist but I know a freezer door is supposed to be closed.
I look in the freezer and for fish food I use clams, Mysis, baby brine shrimp and also have an assortment of foods from companies that sometimes send me food to test. Nothing quite matches the aroma of rotten clams.
Many years ago we went clamming all the way out east on the Island and we put a couple of bushels of live clams into the trunk of my cousins 1955 Oldsmobile. That was a summer house and we forgot about the clams. Until we went back there the next week. Till this day, nothing grows with in 100 yards of where that Oldsmobile was parked. He had to junk it and the junk yard didn't want it.
Anyway. So I threw out the clams and other fish food and I get ready to go to the Gym. 3 Times a week I go to the Gym to swim laps in the pool.
It was also refreshing to get the clam stink off of me. So after swimming I get out to take a shower and notice on my shoulder this smallish lump.
It was raised, multicolored and had irregular borders. OMG, I thought, I am going to die because we all know what raised, multicolored lumps with irregular borders mean. Then I touched it, and it moved, it not only moved, it slithered down my arm and turned out to be a half drowned spider.
OK, now everything is good. ;)

Arati

Advanced Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 100%
56   0   0
you had me scared for a minute. sorry for your stinky morning haha

happy 4th paul thnx again for your service. next time I wont miss ya at the swap.

tomtoothdoc

GOLFER WANNABE
Rating - 100%
390   0   0
i've said it before and i'll say it again, paul, you should send your stories to reader's digest.
hmmmm i wonder how many supermodels read reader's digest?....or just simply read?....oh never mind, you don't need to read if you're a supermodel.

Paul B

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
I don't know what kind of writer I am, I just write what I see.
I wrote on here about some wasps that stung me if you think I can write, but it is not writing, it is just facts.
Oh Toothdoc, I see you are on that thread, so you don't have to waste time reading it again. I am afraid to go back upstairs in my house unless I have a shop vac with me.
http://www.manhattanreefs.com/forum/nudibar/130119-bees-bees-bees.html

Last edited:

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: