smittys46

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please help me out I am staring to have an issue w RED algae and possibly Bubble Algae forming in my tank. My Tiger Goby that I had died and since then this is starting to get out of control. I know I can just add some CHEMICLEAN to it but that never seems to finish the Algae off. The Tank is a 46 bow front w 192 compact lighting A hang on refiguim (small) A Fluval 104 which I am running carbon In. A Aqua C Remore Pro w a Magdrive 4 Pump. I do 5gal. water changes weekly. and am using Oceanic salt Mixed w R/O water. My Tank Stock Includes many Corals, 1 Yellow Hawaiin Tang* 2 Cinnamon Clown* 1 Scotter Blenny* 1 3stripe Damsel * 3 Clown Gobys* 1 Citiorn Goby * 1 Dart Fish * 1 sixline wrasse* 1 Angel Fish ( dont remember what type - yellow head w purple body) 1 Pencil Urchin * 1 Starfish * and a Doz + snails. My salinity is 1.023 * w a PH of 8.1* KH 8 * Calcium of 420 * Nitrate 20* Nitrite 0* and Ammonia 0*. I am going to add some SUPPERBUFFER DKH since it is only a 8* I am posting some pictures also Please help me ... Also I have noticed since I changed my refiduim mud to the MIRACLE MUD this has seemed to flourish...

Attachments

• 100_0962.JPG
    100_0962.JPG
    49.7 KB · Views: 699
  • 100_0965.JPG
    100_0965.JPG
    65.5 KB · Views: 701
  • 100_0968.JPG
    100_0968.JPG
    76.1 KB · Views: 703
A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your nitrates are rather high. Are you overfeeding maybe? I'd do a larger water change for a while - maybe more like 10-15 gallons rather than 5. Keep on eye on how much you feed in the meantime.

Plus, it doesn't look like you have masses of water circulation. Adding another decently rated powerhead may help. The sort of cyano you're seeing often flourishes where flow is weak. You'll want to ensure there aren't any dead spots where there is little circulation, as well as upgrading your overall flow.

smittys46

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK i added another pump w a directional flow and aimed in in the direction of the NUISANCE as you can see in the top of the photo. I also realized the pump for my HOT is not the Mag drive 4 but a RIO 1400. I will also try to cut down on my feeding , I am only feeding MYSIS twice a day and a minumal amount of flake before that.Thanks I will let you know if it helps.

Attachments

• 100_0969.JPG
    100_0969.JPG
    50.8 KB · Views: 686
A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How much mysis? A cube each time? 2 cubes a day, plus flake is a little bit much maybe. Try to cut down to one cube, plus flake.

BTW, I'm one of those yet to be convinced that Miracle Mud is anything more than, well, mud.

smittys46

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybee a cube and a half worth a day , I will cut out the flake all together. As far as the miracle mud yeah your right and yet my corals look better , I was using a Kent sand Marine Biosediment. I also am wondering about going w a bigger canister firlter and with a UV in in. I change/ clean the filters once a month but they also look slimey.

Katfsh

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your Skimmer pump looks new, was the skimmer recently added? If so make sure it is adjusted properly and I would do away with the canister filter the skimmer is all you need. canisters can become nitrate factories.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bubble algae consume phosphates and silicates. Add some Rowaphos as well. Plus make sure your RO/DI is up tp par.

smittys46

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I did another 5gal water change last night and scooped some of the RED algae that is growing on the sand in one spot out of the tank. Thainks look better today I will try the RowaPhos, Yes the Remora is new I had been running a wet skim and emptying the cup every day but I adjusted it a bit for a bit dry skim and will go with that. I will probably leave the canister filter its has been on for about 3 yrs. now and I dont believe it is much of a problem except maybee to small for my fish load it worked great on the 29 but so/so on the 46 now. THANKS EVERYBODY I APPRECIATE THE HELP :D :D :D :D :D

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmmm. As others have said, canister filters aren't great for reef tanks - FOWLR, maybe, but not reef tanks. Unless of course, you're just running carbon in it, rather than filter media, and swapping it out regularly for fresh carbon? If you're actually using it as a filter, you might be better off taking out the filter media and replacing it with live rock rubble (cheaper than the big stuff).

smittys46

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually that is what I am doing. I am using the foamfilters to help clean the water with about 4lbs live rock and carbon. I just recently put the carbon in it . Wanted to see if it would help out. I am looking to start using KENT reef carbon. Any other good ones???? I am also going to give the ROWAPHOS A try.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds very good - apart from the foam filters. I wouldn't keep them in for long if I were you. Unless you're cleaning them thoroughly in tank water (and by regularly, I mean every 3-4 days).

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
have you tested yet for phosphates ?

unless you're cleaning all of the media in your canister weekly, toss it-it's part of your problem-a major source of nitrates and phosphates

do a search on 'factory' and you should find some interesting discussions about wet/drys, canisters, and their relationship to NO3 and PO4

smittys46

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No i havn't tested for phosphates I dont have a test kit readly available and I dont have a petstore near by that is capable of it either. Looks like I need to invest in some more testing supplies. Thanks for your help.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
actually the search should be for "nitrate and factory"

oopsy :oops:

SnowManSnow

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it were me, and it has been before, I would cut feeding a LOT for a few weeks. Once a day.. or even once every other day.. and at that just what the fish eat before it hits bottom.

Direct some flow over that red gunk.

Up your water changes to every week 15g.

Give it time :)

With clean water a lot of good things happen on their own.

OH>>> are you using RODI water?

B

Ben1

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your flow is has been weak and the sandbed looks kinda funky it is probably pretty caked with detritus. A sandbed filled with detritus can be constantly polluting your water. IME the longer your tank has weak flow by the sand the faster detritus will get into the sandbed. If it was my tank I would either replace portions or vacuum 10-15% of the sand bed every 3-4 days untill the sand was cleaned of detritus. Then worry about using products like rowa, and good carbon like rox .8 from bulk reef supply, they have a high grade GFO also. I am assuming your not using tap water and not grossly overfeeding. I do feed my tanks pretty heavy, and that fine as long as you can export as much as you are importing.

What kind of clean up crew do you have?

JMO

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: