SnowManSnow

Advanced Reefer
So, I found this guy on the mouth of an acan that was turned upside down. I pulled him off and took a picture. He's probably a little more than a quarter inch long.

I've NEVER seen one.

What is it?

Attachments

• DSCF1233.JPG
    DSCF1233.JPG
    151.6 KB · Views: 2,808

Scoopy

Experienced Reefer
no clue but great macro picture. I love when the guys post a bunch of grainy pixels and want an ID. :)

Sam

Scoopy

Experienced Reefer
Im gonna say some type of pod at this size.. but could be a baby of something to come. Keep it around in another tank or something?? Would be interesting to see. There are some crazy things in the ocean. How does it act?? slow, fast, crawls, swims?

Sam

Scoopy

Experienced Reefer
slow spider movement sounds more crablike than podlike, most pods move fast.. hmmm... Im still waiting for someone else to chime in. I think EVERYONE is baffled 8O

LeslieH1

Experienced Reefer
It's a commensal crab in the family Cryptochiridae, in the genus Fizsereneia. These called coral gall crabs because the females settle on corals, causing the corals to grow over them & form galls. I know a researcher who would LOVE to have the critter if you want to get rid of it. You can check out photos & descriptions in this paper which described the genus in 1980:
http://decapoda.nhm.org/pdfs/23267/23267.pdf

Do you know where the acan came from or what species it is?

SnowManSnow

Advanced Reefer
If it insnt one of these crabs, its the closest guess I've seen.

Im not sure where the animal came from. I'm also not sure where the acan came from..

Something to consider though would be that that particular acan always had health issues. It is almost dead at this point, but I could never get it to REALLY look healthy.

The crab has been dispatched. I had it in qtine and it died after a few days... so I flushed it.

B

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: