lovefish77

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
I am running a jebao dc-8000 (it is a DC pump) return pump on my 75 and I am running the risk of overflowing the tank if power goes off and it goes to highest setting after it resets. Was thinking of undervolting the pump like running it at 18v instead of 24v (using variable volt adapter designed for laptop) to lower the output a bit. Any thoughts? Will this burn the pump long term?

thanks for looking

lovefish77

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
thanks, but I am not considering changing the overflow, wont solve the problem I guess. Just interested to know what long term impact undervolting has on the pump. The newer jebao controllers reset, the old ones don't I guess.

lovefish77

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
thanks edd, I know that is another option. But that is not the question I was asking; undervolting effect on pump life, any thoughts on that? I just know all the options that people proposed but I am here to ask about something else. Gets frustrating when you come here asking something, but everyone gives answers that are totally irrelevant to the question. Don't get me wrong please :)

lovefish77

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
I am renting and power doesn't go out usually, thanks for the insurance note though.

"I am running a jebao dc-8000 (it is a DC pump) return pump on my 75 and I am running the risk of overflowing the tank if power goes off and it goes to highest setting after it resets. Was thinking of undervolting the pump like running it at 18v instead of 24v (using variable volt adapter designed for laptop) to lower the output a bit. Any thoughts? Will this burn the pump long term? "

theMeat

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
29   0   0
It's not a matter of faulty. It's a matter of it depends on an aqua lifter to keep air out of the tube and that line must stay clear.

In my limited understanding of dc motors they have to be somewhat close in order to come on and function properly. Being that the jebao comes on slow and speeds up to speed don't think that will be an issue. Althou the issue could be that the controller senses the limited power and shuts it down. Whether it works or not don't think it will be a good long term reliable solution.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: