A

Anonymous

I made a post earlier about this crab, but as I didn't have any pics, it was pretty difficult for anyone to help. I've now got a new camera and have taken several pics of it. Here is the best one as you can see it's markings clearly.

bA60011.jpg

Can someone ID this crab from this pic?

Here is the URL of the photo gallery which contains several more pics of the wee guy. http://community.webshots.com/album/13126247fwPIASmhzx

[This message has been edited by ragawaga (edited 24 April 2001).]

A

Anonymous

I'm not sure what it is to be honest. But I have a rule of thumb about crabs. If it's not one of the commonly accepted crabs, I don't let it hang around. In that body shape the only two I know that are keepable are the Emerald and Sally Lightfoot neither of which look like that (to me).

Crabs can become very destructive, going after corals, and even fish. Never mind the bulldozing aspect.

Anyway, just my $0.02,

G

A

Anonymous

i posted crab pics to dr. ron that looked very similar and he said they were xanthid crabs. i immediately removed them.

A

Anonymous

I'm exactly sure, however it does look extremely close to a 'Mud Crab'. Specifically, a Lybia edmondsoni. That's about as far as I would guess. As far as harm goes, they just forrage around corals and rocks... and have not been known to do any damage of any kind.

><> Clif

A

Anonymous

thanks everybody.
I am more inclined to agree with clifton. The crab doesn't have the red eyes which are charactaristic of the xanthid species. I've never seen it out of the rock. It always stays hidden in the rock it came with (unless I "chase" it out)....I've even waited at night, but still nothing. I would rather leave it there if it isn't causing any harm than needlessly kill it.

A

Anonymous

Although it didn't look like that, I had a crab that behaved as you say yours does. One day I added some xenia to the aquarium and the crab ran full speed to it, grabbed it and dragged it into its hole to munch.

Shimek says almost all crabs become opportunistic predators in a reef aquarium. Rather than killing it, you could build it a little home in your sump! I'm positive plenty of stuff would filter down for it to feed on.

------------------
My drug habit cost less, but reef colors are better!

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: