vulkum

Experienced Reefer
i found this little guy in my live rock when i moved. i was tearing down my tank and he jumped out of the rock. hes way cool to look at but i heard all crabs are destructive so when i set my tank back up i threw him in the sump with a bunch of culupera. he came out of the rock todday and it looks like he has a little anenomia or something like that in his right claw. he wasn't eating it or anything like that but i remember seeing these cool looking crabs inside of a anenomia and he had these weird things on his claws. any relation and is he safe for my tank. i kindda like him in the sump that way i get to see him sometimes. any info anyone has would be great. (the pics are of the back of the crab so i could show his markings, plus he wouldn't turn around!).thanks vulkum
icon_cool.gif
nullunknown crab

Tide man

Experienced Reefer
Vulkum

Thats what Ive allways called a boxing crab (lybia Tesselata).
Thoes are annenomes on his claws he uses them as defence and to obtain food. He is an excellent detritavore a very cool find the store that you got your rock from probably ordered them and forgot about him.

Later

vulkum

Experienced Reefer
thanks tideman. id like to keep him in the sump do you think he would be able to get enough to eat or would i need to add some food from time to time?

Tide man

Experienced Reefer
He would have plenty to eat in your sump. If it were me I would probably leave him there just because you will be able to see him more often, its up to you.

Later

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: