nycearnestchink

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Think I ****ed up, got a new tank and putted water inside to test leak, I used a old pump to empty the tank . The problem is that this pump and the plastic vinyl tubing to get the water out the tank has been used in a tank with copper mediation before , that pump and vinyl tubing or regular tubing has been dry for about 2 years . Have I ****ed my new tank ?was planning mixed reef , anyone thoughts is it too risky ? Please any thoughts

nycearnestchink

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
i think i might have messed that up too, well i had my live rock newly purchased at 7 dollers a pound in a brute 45 gallon i used the GLASS thermometer and putted in there and occacionally took it out to check on the water temp( which the temp checker has been in the old tank with coppersafe mardel), is the live rock useless? or what >< stresssssssing please ! anyone ahhhhhhhhhh

theMeat

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
29   0   0
Unless you treated the water the Rock is in with copper, you're fine. Taking the thermometer from the treated water to the water with the rock is not an issue

Just so you know, natural seawater has small amounts of copper. It's hi levels, hi enough to kill parasites, which are invertebrates, that's the issue. While it's good practice to keep things separate, more because of spreading parasites. Don't loose sleep over it

Last edited:

B.BASH

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
I don't think it's an issue as u used the hose and pump to remove the water. Most of the residue left with the water.rinse the tank well run some carbon for a while and your good to go.

jd371

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
To ease your mind you can run a Poly Filter for a few days. If there is any Copper in the tank the filter will turn from white to blue.

nycearnestchink

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
heh thank you reefers for all the warm care , im more relieved , just got my specturepure 90 gpd a day running at 45 PSI , pretty painstaking slow rodi water coming out !

BZOFIQ

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
46   0   0
heh thank you reefers for all the warm care , im more relieved , just got my specturepure 90 gpd a day running at 45 PSI , pretty painstaking slow rodi water coming out !

At 45PSI you are the the bare minimum to run 90GPD membrane hence slow production and lots of waste (something you may not care about if you dont pay for water)

theMeat

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
29   0   0
Watch the vid I posted. With spectrapur you can adjust the flow restrictor. Worth your time

If you have well water you can adjust pressure. If not you can tap directly off main to maybe get better pressure

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: