skeeter1

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Only four months into the hobby, not counting the 3 months of prior research. I've bit the bullet on almost all the equipment needed or recommended by people on this site to run a first class reef tank. NOW, after a outbreak of ich
icon_redface.gif
, and reviewing all the post I got I am now considering the purshase of a UV Sterilizer.
icon_rolleyes.gif
I will make my final decision based on the EXPERT feedback
icon_biggrin.gif
I receive from the members on this site. Please Advise and share your opinion. THANKS IN ADVANCE. I'm an engineer so I firmly believe that "one peek is worth a thousand design hours
icon_cool.gif

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A UV Sterilzer is going to only have a real effect on bacterial populations. You will have a hard time getting a sufficiant zap dosage to have any measurable impact on parasites. They are ALWAYS in your water and I think you will find the UV a waste of your money. You fight ICH by creating a low stress natural environment. Healthy tanks just don't have outbreaks. Patience, low stock levels and a natural approach is the best way to go about that.

Others will claim they haven't had ich outbreaks because of their UV, but I'm afraid thats more than likely an FPE (Financial Placebo Effect). Its more than likely that their tank is maturer and their aquarist skills have improved than anything else.

[ August 01, 2001: Message edited by: MickAv8r ]

Boogiechillin

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I totally agree. You would have to run a UV sterilizer at questionably high intensities to prevent an ich outbreak. Bacterial infections would be prevented, but quality feeding, a good vitamin solution, and a low-stress environment will do the same thing - don't waste the money.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: