Greagzter

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
63   0   0
I have this UV sterilizer that I used for two days on my old tank and took it down because of limited space and because it was generating too much heat. Now that I upgraded my tank, I would like to hear your opinion on whether or not I should install it, this is a mixed reef tank. My concern is that the UV killing of beneficial bacteria and other beneficial organisms.

Domboski

No Coral Here
Rating - 100%
237   0   0
Use it no doubt. Your skimmer pulls beneficial bacteria out of the water as well but I bet almost everyone has one on their tank.

The UV keeps the water clear (better light penetration) and will help fight negative bacteria or parasite outbreaks if used properly.

Dre

Rating - 100%
243   0   0
Here is the thing some people use UV's some don't. It's all about the installation and specifications. All the state and public aquariums use UV's. I have a 36watt UV that i used on my 120 and 125 FOWLR tanks. But i got bad results when i placed it on my 90 mixed reef. I haven't used it since.

Greagzter

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
63   0   0
T:thanks:hanks everyone, i guess im going to give it a try on my new tank and see how things go. Another reason i decided on hooking it back up is i just got this hippo tang (healthy as a horse) few days ago and today he began on scratching himself on the rock, so i am afraid that due to stress he is coming up with ich. Although no visible signs of such. So, automatically I am treating this as an ich case.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: