Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do anybody know why would you set up a uv sterilizer on a salt water tank no one in the Midwest sells them are they good do they work? I think am having a ich /parasite problem in my 180... HELP please....

Sent from my iPod touch using Reefs

motortrendz

Mainland Aquatics
Vendor
Rating - 100%
82   0   0
yes they work.. infortunatly they will only kill the parasites that are free floating in the water column.. an most of the parasites are in the rock or on the fish so a UV wouldnt help you much.. but it doesnt hurt to have one...you would need abt a 36/40watt unit.. u use your sump the pump goes into the first chamber where the water drains into.. and the return can go either back into the same chamber or into the last where your return is.. dont put it in the last chamber bc any pods or "good" critters getting sucked thru wont survive... hope this heps you.. your best bet is to set up a qt tank and remove the infected fih and tret them..

SevTT

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
Do anybody know why would you set up a uv sterilizer on a salt water tank no one in the Midwest sells them are they good do they work? I think am having a ich /parasite problem in my 180... HELP please....

Sent from my iPod touch using Reefs

UV sterilizers can be great to prevent the spread of ich and to help fight it while you're taking other measures. However, there isn't any real reason to keep one running all the time, as it'll also decimate your algal and plankton populations.

The first thing to do is to identify the problem. Is it ich or is it some other parasite, or is it a fungal infection, or damage?

clownlover

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
i had an outbreak of ich once, put a uv on and did nothign else. ich gone and never had another outbreak of anything. even knocked out my algae somehow.

motortrendz

Mainland Aquatics
Vendor
Rating - 100%
82   0   0
A uv DOES NOT kill ich in most cases, it is the hardest of all parasites to kill with a uv and will ond kill some of them bc they are not free floating in the water column they are attached to a host.. and yes the majority of the reasons for using a UV is for water clarity and algea control...

(reworded my txt)...

Last edited:

KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
A uv DOES NOT kill ich in most cases, it is the most hardy of all parasites and will ond kill some of them bc they are not free floating in the water column they are attached to a host.. and yes the majority of the reasons for using a UV is for water clarity and algea control...

A UV light will kill Ich - but ONLY the ones that pass through the UV unit, which is a very small amount.
A UV light alone will not rid a tank of Ich.

Just to clarify :)

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: