Sardaukar

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was considering placing the 150 gal that i am setting up perpendicular to the wall, i.e. at a right angle. The tank would jut out 5 feet from the wall. Does anyone have a tank like this? The prob is that it is a RR tanks so it has the built in over flow and bulkhead hole. Can this be removed and capped? i would use oneor more of those hang on overflows. Would this work? the tank is 24" front to back, so i think it has the room.

bowfront

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've seen plenty of tanks set up like this. I almost tried one myself but why would you abandon the RR overflow for a hang on? Can't you turn the tank so that the overflow is against the wall?. If its centered I would still leave it.

Sardaukar

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The overflow is a corner one. It is maybe 5"x5" and is clear on the back side, which would be one of the viewing sides. I dont want to have to watch the overflow when i view the tank. I was considering one of those Lifereef hang on overflows. Anyone else?

naesco

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank is perpendicular to the wall.
There is 4.5 inches from the wall to the end of the tank between which the overflow piping goes down to the sump.
If I had to do it again I would add another inch or so.
icon_smile.gif

esmithiii

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have seen a setup similar that had the overflow on one of the narrow sides (one whole side was sectioned off as an overflow) and the overflow side would be placed along the wall.

Like this:

W
A
L ---------------------
L I I I
- I I I
W I I I
A ---------------------
L
L

esmithiii

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That didn't come out as planned...(the illustration...) how about this:
W
A
L ---------------------
L |.I.................|
- |.I.................|
W |.I.................|
A ---------------------
L
L

the "I"s on the left are the overflow... the dots are empty space...

E

Sardaukar

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I get the idea....lol thanks. But my tank would be set up like this and i dont want this:
W
A----------------------------------
L++................................|
L++................................|
W..................................|
A..................................|
L----------------------------------
L
The + are the corner overflow and the "." are the rest of the tank. Its small, but unsightly. My questions still is, could i remove the coner overflow and put a lifereef hang on overflow on the end next to teh wall? How difficult would it be?

myreef

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would use the overflow that came with it. Then I would build my stand/canopy in a way that it covers the overflow. Look at this crude drawing to give you an idea of how you can cover it. Just a thought, you would only lose 5 inches of space on the tank and you would have a better overflow.... Good luck

wall.gif

Litoria

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have seen lots of tanks setup like this. A great example is an LFS in Miami called Strictly Fish. In fact, their tank is a 150 also. The main challenge with building the "3 around" look is setting up the rock work. You need to find some really quality rock to build a nice open structure, yet keep the rock off the glass and looking like a pile of rumble. Good luck!

DJ88

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am building up my 120 in this fashion..

here is a link to my drawings for the whole thing. Sump, lighting some plumbing etc..

Tank drawings

Don't know if they will help but..

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: