CHEMCHEF

PERMANOOB
Rating - 100%
79   0   0
I was reading about vodka dosing today and thought I might start dosing this evening.
I went to see if I had vodka, and only had Grey Goose.
My ?? is this. Does it matter what kind of vodka you use. I ask this because. Expensive vodka is usually not carbon filterd. IE grey goose. Belvadere ETC.
Where Absolut, Stoli, Fleichmans is.

NYreefNoob

Skimmer Freak
Rating - 100%
166   0   0
thats not the only reason for dosing vodka, there's a article on here somewhere and a ton on rc, i truelly suggest fully reading it and knowing the side effects and purpose of it before doing it

michael Jack

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
54   0   0
I do it and it works great does not matter what kind you use it does matter what proof it is that determins the amount to dose in milligrams look it up on reef central great artical Mike

Master Shake

captain of tying knots
Rating - 100%
53   0   0
Vodka dosing is for lowering nitrates and phosphates. It is a form of organic carbon that basicly causes a bacteria boom to eat the nitrates and phosphates. I would make sure that your skimmer is working as good as new to skim out the extra disolved organics. Regular 80 proof vodka, no flavors, works just fine. I started a week and a half ago and my nitrates are down 5 points. Not much to be greatfull for, but it is a start. You can also try sugar or vinegar dosing. Whatever you decide to do try not to add to much at the start. I do 2.5 ml for about 50 gallons of water and will start raising it in a few more days. Good luck.

stoneriff

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
I'm starting tonight. I've had a slight nitrate problem, despite the fact that every other parameter is perfect. I do 20 gallon water changes every week on my 72 bow front like religion. My nitrates are always at 5ppm. I'm now getting into SPS, and don't want any losses. All of my LPS are doing well. Let's see what happens. Wish me luck.:Yikes:

ClosetFishGeek

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
114   0   0
Time to get crunked

Not one drop into the tank until you've read that thread along with any it references. Noone here wants to see a "My tank crashed because of vodka" thread.

SO CORRECT!!!!!!

I have been dosing for over 8 months now and have gone thru some very interesting changes in my tank....With my tank i found that my corals reacted best when i kept my alkalinity on the lower side 7-7.5 and with the addition of amino acids while dosing...

I kept a daily log for close to 7 months...Please PM me if you have further questions.

Closing advise......start the dose even lower than suggested...Nothing good happens fast........:splitspin

ClosetFishGeek

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
114   0   0
I'm starting tonight. I've had a slight nitrate problem, despite the fact that every other parameter is perfect. I do 20 gallon water changes every week on my 72 bow front like religion. My nitrates are always at 5ppm. I'm now getting into SPS, and don't want any losses. All of my LPS are doing well. Let's see what happens. Wish me luck.:Yikes:

In order for Vodka dosing to work you need elevated levels of nitrates and phosphates.....And for the record 5ppm is not a bad nitrate level...:splitspin

TOTAL AQUARIUMS

Chief of the Tang Police
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
I would honestly consider 5ppm a hiccup and easily fixable by changing a few of the things you are probably already doing just a little bit. Although honestly, if I tested someones water in the store and saw 5ppm I think I'd die of shock on the spot. Most of the time there is more than 1 digit in that reading and sometimes even close to 3.... I'd say 5ppm is down right stellar compared to most.

ClosetFishGeek

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
114   0   0
I would honestly consider 5ppm a hiccup and easily fixable by changing a few of the things you are probably already doing just a little bit. Although honestly, if I tested someones water in the store and saw 5ppm I think I'd die of shock on the spot. Most of the time there is more than 1 digit in that reading and sometimes even close to 3.... I'd say 5ppm is down right stellar compared to most.

exactly,,,,,,,:splitspin

JonG101

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I have been vodka dosing for about 6 or 7 months, it is good as long as you have an oversized/strong skimmer and can be consistent with it. You also HAVE TO follow the process listed in reefkeeping magazines article. You don't just start throwing random amounts of vodka into the tank, it is a slow build up in order to prevent bacterial blooms which may cause problems.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: