Alfredo De La Fe

Rating - 100%
30   0   0
Ok, so I have been out of the loop for a bit and have not kept up with the latest gadgets.

I have a question- what is the difference (besides size and wireless/not wireless) of all the different Vortech MP models? I see different descriptions used for the MP10's for example. Someone recently posted a MP10 with "blue box" for sale at $200 used, but the MP10 ES (photo has a white box controller) is available for $234 new. What are the differences?

After I have licked my wounds and recovered a bit financially I plan on upgrading my tanks and include an MP10 on my 40 Gal Breeder and 2 MP40's on my 180 (in addition to several other planned upgrades)

Thanks,

Alfred

d5332

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 96.9%
94   3   0
I cannot answer your question but do recommend that if you buy expensive circulation pumps just buy them new.

Vortechs for example have very good resale value but that only benefits the seller.

you can get a brand new MP10 for $225-$250, new means manufacturer warranty and pleasure of being the first and only owner. Some people are paying as much as $200 for a used out of warranty MP10, it just does not make any sense, buy it new.

Same with MP40's, people paying anywhere from $300 to $400 for a used MP40, just buy it new for $450.

Its not a huge difference and you get warranty peace of mind.

Last edited:

d5332

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 96.9%
94   3   0
then again, I may be able to answer some part of your question. The newer models come with a new more user friendly and versatile white control box. Blue control box appears to be old style.

Now you can also find a wireless control box for a few extra bucks, new model.

masterswimmer

Old School Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 99.6%
448   2   0
Hey Alfredo, the blue box is actually the older version. The white box is the newer, 'ES' model.

In addition, it's important to size the VorTech pump to the tank size and the thickness of the glass. For instance, the MP10 is only recommended for glass up to 3/8" thick. Above that thickness you run the risk of the wet side and dry side separating, with the dry side possibly falling the distance to the floor and cracking.

I agree wholeheartedly with d5332, but would never be the one to say it. It would seem very self serving being a vendor who sells them. But I do believe his assessment is spot on.

Happy Thanksgiving
Russ

Alfredo De La Fe

Rating - 100%
30   0   0
I agree, I was just wondering what was so special about some of the used models being sold for at or just below retail. I guess the answer is "not much".

I would much rather buy a new product and spend an extra 10% to have the benefit of a warranty and longer life.

Thanks,

Alfred

Alfredo De La Fe

Rating - 100%
30   0   0
By the way, one of the reasons I ask is because there have been times when two items with the same model number were quite different. As an example, you had the Iwaki 55-RLT pumps. The Japanese versions were much more powerful, better built and commanded it higher price.

Best,

Alfred

Rating - 100%
87   0   0
The term W, as in wireless does not mean wireless [without wire] It's just an Add on chip for wireless interaction. Their is a lot of widespread misconception for non Vortech owners. The W simply means it can wirelessly interact with another Wireless controller.

The Blue box is the older model and its predecessor is the ecosmart which has two versions available...ES & WES[white]

The ecosmart version has many improvements, They allow the user to shut down the pump [power button], additional flow settings, and is much easier to visually dial in because of the improved controller [interface?]

As far as going new or used for me it hasn't really made a difference. Their customer service is spot on and generally the problems occcur after the warranty period is over. They warranty them for a year for a reason. The trick is to listen for running volume and to check the ceramic shaft for any damage.

Ecotech wetsides only last me around 8-12 months anyways, the ceramic shaft always ends up cracking around the 8 month mark and i normally get another 3-4 months out of it until i must replace.

I clean them biweekly, run them at around 80% and use spacers when needed. They are not shifted or ran incorrectly. I've been running the mp10's for around 5 years.

hope this helps

Last edited:

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: