ReefMadman

Evil Jedi Reefer
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
So...i was walking by my tank last night on my way to the john....the lunar lights were on and the room was dark...thats when i notice this 3-4 inch red and white worm thing wrapped around one if my dwarf ceriths...the snail was struggling to get away...so i grabbed the tweezers and snatched it outta the tank and flushed that sucker. This scene was occuring near a little tunnel in one of my rocks where my purple firefish used to sleep....until i found him dead and half eaten 2 days ago...i was wondering if that worm could have killed the fish...he was about the same length as the fish. Should've snapped a pic, but i was half asleep.

Nandez13

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
246   0   0
Rookie, can you elaborate on that? What species are able to survive the transition from a specific gravity of 1.025 to 1.00 (assuming that's what the sewage system is) in a split second. I'm curious as I've flushed many things but hadn't thought of this before

rookie07

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 97.5%
235   6   0
Nandez, not flushing stuff is a very basic rule to follow when you have fish (salt or fresh).

You don't introduce foreign species (of anything) into a new environment.
A good example of why you should follow this is the Caribbean having lion fish problems (although that is not a flushing problem).

Don't argue, just listen and follow the rule.

jackson6745

SPS KILLER
Rating - 99%
201   2   0
51Ic9IvIhSL._SY445_.jpg

Nandez13

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
246   0   0
Nandez, not flushing stuff is a very basic rule to follow when you have fish (salt or fresh).

You don't introduce foreign species (of anything) into a new environment.
A good example of why you should follow this is the Caribbean having lion fish problems (although that is not a flushing problem).

Don't argue, just listen and follow the rule.

Rookie, at no point was I arguing. That was a sincere question. I refuse to simply accept and follow things (this applies to life not just reefing). I prefer to question anything and everything so that I can be better informed. Too often, misinformation is spread due to people not questioning things.

Honestly, if you can provide examples of what sort of species (likely bacteria?) can survive in our sewage systems, there are many of us, myself included, that would appreciate learning about it.

Jackson, I'll keep an eye out for them

beerfish

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
32   0   0
Rookie, at no point was I arguing. That was a sincere question. I refuse to simply accept and follow things (this applies to life not just reefing). I prefer to question anything and everything so that I can be better informed. Too often, misinformation is spread due to people not questioning things.

Honestly, if you can provide examples of what sort of species (likely bacteria?) can survive in our sewage systems, there are many of us, myself included, that would appreciate learning about it.

Jackson, I'll keep an eye out for them

Not a lot of animals can survive a salinity change like that, but there are macro algae and bacteria that can, and some can cause serious issues. If an animal has a piece of algae on it, you can cause all sorts of issues by flushing it.

Vwcrakerjack

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went swimming in a lagoon in pr and accidentally swallowed some water and it had algae in it. I flew home and had to use bathroom. Should I feel guilty that I introduced bacteria into the swear system?? Boom! environmental collapse

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: