Sean

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
As you can see from all the good advise there is no rule of thumb.

I care for many aquariums around the city and each one is different. You have to know your tank and knowing your tank is knowing its inhabitants. Example I have a 650 gallon system I do 70 gallons a week and another 350 gallon system that only needs 30 gallons a month. I have also cared for aquariums that needed even less frequent water changes but I wouldn't recomend it unless you really know your aquarium.

Also it changes from week to week. If you know you over fed the aquarium you may want to do a water change to compensate for that. If an animal dies you may also want to clean up the tank a bit. Just so many factor come into play so once again you need to know your aquarium.

Alfredo De La Fe

Rating - 100%
30   0   0
Replacing evaporated water does not count. (During the winter I evaporate about 3 gallons per day!) When you do a water change, the primary purpose is to remove Disolved Organic Compounds (DOC) and replace other components that are "used up" or otherwise removed from the tank by corals growing, running a protein skimmer or just plain organic chemistry.

Running fresh carbon by-weekly would cut down the need to make so many water changed, but at least one 20% water change a month would be good if you plan on maintaining SPS or LPS corals in good health.

Alfred

Hi Guys,

I have a 92 corner, I use no top glass. I have to add about 5 to 7 gallons of RO water a week, due to evaporation. Would it still be best to do a 10 to 15% water change weekly, All my levels are good.

Thank you
Li Mike

Long-Island-Mike

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
36   0   0
Hi Guys,

Thank you all for your input and help. I was always wondering what evaporated with the water, if anything. I do always add essential elements from kent and always stay on top of my calcium and magnesium. All my levels seem good, so I would guess I should just keep doing the monthly water changes. To be honest, I think I am going to move to weekly, it can't hurt.

Thank you again for all the help.
I hope you all have a wonderful & safe New Year :birthday:
LI MIke

btldreef

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 98.9%
180   2   0
WEEKLY WATER CHANGES! i know it is a PITA but, the results are well worth it. therefore you wouldn't have to "DOSE". the elements will be there and by the time the week is up your going to be replenishing the elements again. beats dumping chemicals ...granted for a reef tank addition calcium won't hurt especially if you have things that a huge calcium suckers like clams and sps.

Alfredo De La Fe

Rating - 100%
30   0   0
There is a lot of good research that indicates that adding "trace elements" is not only unessessary, but may actually be harmful in the long run.

If you look at the levels of trace elements in natural sea water they are miniscule. (thus the word "trace") The only things I would be adding in addition to regular water changes is calcium, alkalinity (buffer) and perhaps small amounts of Iodine in the form of Iodide.

Alfred

Alfred

Long-Island-Mike

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
36   0   0
Hi, I do add elements every week, I also add calcium and magnesium when needed (calcium usually every two or three days, magnesium once a week) I usually add Iodide once a week as well. I use the DKH buffer when needed. I use a phosphate reactor to keep the phosphate in check. All my levels seem where they should be, but thats about all I do. I change my water once a month and now will be changing that to once a week. I am new to the reef end of the hobby, I am always looking to learn. I spend most of my extra time when my family isn't using it up, doing research on how to make my fish and coral happier.
Thank you for all the info, I really do appreciate it. I am new to this site and you all have been wonderful!

Thank you again
Li Mike

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Determining the percentage water change is relative to each system. It is based off of the quality and clarity of the water (i.e. chemical levels) and health condition of the fish/ corals . With that to consider, plus the amount of live stock in the aquarium, water change of roughly 25% to 35% per month is safe.

C

CrashGibson

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You might also want to look into the wet skim water change method. Basically skim out 1-2 gallons a day with a saltwater ato at a slightly reduced salinity to make up for the evaporated water. http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1534930 Check out the member mobert, she keeps 27 clowns and 25 bta and a mag anemone in the same tank using this method. It does wonders for her tank.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: