• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are plenty of people on this board who have them. I do not want a tank full of rock so I can have more swim room.

Every system has its place, many people do not like the maintenance invovled in keeping your nitarate down.

It is a big misnomer that bio balls will create nitrates.

I also like the fact that My filtering system has the ability to handle a large increase in bio load without losing my livestock.

With all the bad info givin out about thse filters in reef tanks I started to get a little nervous when my nitrates got up to 30 and stayed there. then I started seeing those great little bubbles emerging from my DSB and my nitrates went away. I am glad I hesitated in follwing the crowd.

To each their own.

Ivy just pointed out my need to clarify, my nitrates have not gone away they are just coming down as my DSB matures.

[ July 31, 2001: Message edited by: Fishaholic ]

Dewey

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the non-reef, FO tanks use them. Afterall without LR, how are they eliminating the ammonia?

redneck

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Fishaholic:
<STRONG>It is a big misnomer that bio balls will create nitrates.[ July 31, 2001: Message edited by: Fishaholic ]</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

But your mileage may vary. They don't help. The DSB does though...

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is one of the problems with a large group sharing knowledge. Everyone wants to say there system is as effectve as the next guys and not admit any short comings.

Simple questions.

If everyones tanks with just Rock and Sand are so efficient, why are so many people with very mature tanks rushing to put all the things such as mangroves and algae in their sumps? If the rock and sand are handleing the bio load long term why even the interest in things that export waste?

sawcjack00

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The mangroves and assorted macros are used to export nitrates and phosphates which a wet dry will not do. A DSB will reduce nitrates, but not phosphates, so even people with DSB's often use mangroves and macros to export.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by sawcjack00:
<STRONG>The mangroves and assorted macros are used to export nitrates and phosphates which a wet dry will not do. A DSB will reduce nitrates, but not phosphates, so even people with DSB's often use mangroves and macros to export.</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Please understand I am not advocating the use of any system over another just pointing ot that a lot of times you will see people on these boards tell someone new that rock and sand is all you will need.

All systems need fine tuning to achieve the goals and sometimes it is neccessary to rethink the approach. Before bailing out on any system it is important to understand if ALL the componets of that system are functioning.

fishfarmer

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ran my DIY trickle filter during the first 7 months of operation on my 38 gal reef. Rarely saw a nitrate reading over 10 ppm(usually 0), but I was letting sargassum, anthelia, and xenia grow like weeds.

I am running a trickle filter on a newly setup FOWLR/DSB. It's in the fourth month of operation. I rarely see a nitrate reading over 10 ppm. I'm in the cyano bloom period now so that may be taking up excess nitrates.

I pulled the trickle on the reef, because I needed to redesign my sump and wanted to apply a more natural approach to filtration(DSB, algae, fast growing corals)

I'm a firm believer that any system will work, you just have to figure out the balance of nutrients, whether it be through using rock, sand, plant, coral, trickle or skimmer.

[ August 01, 2001: Message edited by: fishfarmer ]

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
People are using algae and mangroves because they can more than because they are needed. Mangroves really aren't that efficient at nutrient export (per Sprung's lil pamphlet).

You don't need a tank full of rock for filtration for a FOWLR IMO, our rule of thumb is anything over 0.5 pounds per gallon is plenty. 0.5 pounds per gallon will give you a very open structure and as long as you are responsible in regards to your fish load you will be fine. If you are an idiot and cram your tank full of fish then yeah it might not be enough.

IMO for the average marine aquarium they are quite obsolete. They work, they just aren't necessary. For specialty applications though like a coldwater aquarium or for things like certain cephalopods (supposedly cuttlefish output huge amounts of wastes) they still have merit.

gkrane

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with MickAz8r. You dont have to pack you system with 2lbs of rock per gallon. 1 lb should be sufficient for most needs. Alot of people like the rock wall because they like keeping large amounts of corals which need a place to sit. Bio balls are outdated but can still be used. You could always add a little more rock if you find the need arises.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another problem with them is that they can potentially starve out less competative/efficient organisms that utilize the nutrients the filters remove.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: