troyrb

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Should I get a IceCap Ballast or go with a cheaper one like these www.aquaticlight.com/ballasts.htmI'm planning on getting one 175 watt metal halide.
Has anyone bought one of these type? I don't see any brand name so I don't know who makes them. I want it to last and the cost isn't a big issue but I don't want to spend to much.

[ August 02, 2001: Message edited by: troyrb ]

Reefer33

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you wanted a really cheap way to do some metal halide lighting you could go and purchase a 175 mercury vapor light fixture from Home Depot for like around $20-30. You will have to run Iwasaki light bulbs though since these are the only types of metal halide bulbs that will work in this fixture. I haven't tried this personally but I am sure it would make a great pendant to go over your tank and you possibly might be able to retrofit into hood. It's worth a try I guess.

Giarc

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ALS supply 'Advanced' ballasts with their retro kits. I got the 250W with bulb upgrade. Works just fine. Ballast does emit a hum and does get hot. Icecaps are, I believe, almost silent and don't get hot but from stuff I've seen online they underdrive some MH bulbs (less light output) and in some cases cause a flickering problem (or so I've read).

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: