richardhmc

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
29   0   0
What kind of adhesive type material is best to attach rocks? I want to make a really nice layout with my live rock however every time I touch a rock I end up with a rock slide. How strong are these adhesives? If I want to take the tank down and break apart the rocks, is that possible?

dacaptain78

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
25   0   0
There are several ways that you can create rock formations that will not crumble upon the slightest disturbance. You can zip tie rocks together to hold them in place. You can also use acrylic rods to hold a stack of rocks in place. The only downside to these methods is that they may require you to drill holes in your rock to fit the zip ties/rods through.

You could also use a reef safe epoxy to hold you rocks together. Something like this product:

http://www.fosterandsmithaquatics.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=3962

The epoxy holds up well once it hardens and is fairly easy to break apart if you decide to redo your rockwork. The downside to this product is that, depending on your aquascaping, you may use a lot of it and therefore it will be a bit more expensive than a bag of zip ties. Also, even the red color epoxy is a bit unsightly on the rock work, IMO.

richardhmc

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
29   0   0
My tank is already set up. I think I'll use the epoxy because if I have to drill then I need to take apart the whole thing. Besides, I think the epoxy wouldn't show as much as rods and plastic piping.

I just don't know how much I need. If just one dab of the epoxy is strong enough to hold two rocks together, then I won't need much. If not, and I need to apply to the whole side of the rock, then I need alot

ming

LE Coral Killer
Rating - 100%
272   0   0
epoxy isn't going to do much to hold large rocks together. You should use the weight and shape of the large rock to hold it in place. If your large rocks are falling, you need to learn how to play tetris better.
I only use epoxy for LPS or attaching encrusted frags to larger rocks.

JimmyR1rider

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
48   0   0
They sell it by the tube and its like jb weld its one element inside another- you tear off pieces and knead them together then smush it on your rocks where you want it to bond them together and it hardens in a relatively short timeframe. Whatever you dont use just keep in the tube it comes in and it stays good for a later time

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: