Rating - 100%
87   0   0
I think it could be a blockage and causing stuff to back up or blockage was Unblocked causing more flow.

The water must be either in the sump or the direct tank. obviously depending on your setup a leak would be noticed.

topmav1

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
I think it could be a blockage and causing stuff to back up or blockage was Unblocked causing more flow.

The water must be either in the sump or the direct tank. obviously depending on your setup a leak would be noticed.

I agree. I'll be able to tell i think when I take the hood off and see what the level is. I have a Durso so not sure how there would be a clog that significant but ... never know.

knugenx

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
308   0   0
2.Possible that the return has a blockage somewhere and isn't pumping enough water into the tank but that would mean that the sump should be more full correct? Coming down at the same rate but not going back up at the same rate so not sure why there would be less water.
Check the line going from tank to the sump, not from the sump to tank...blockage could be a wandering snail

OctaviousMonk

Sucka Free Reefin' !!!
Rating - 100%
43   0   0
What type of overflow box do you have? If it is one of the AGA/oceanic type then the space in between the 2 plastic parts and or the slits could be clogged with algae or something. I used to have that happen in my 72 gallon which would result in higher water levels in the DT then usual. Something during the 7 hours might have been the "straw that broke the camels back". That area and the overflow box would grow algae like a refugium and I would have to clean it out every month or 2.

OzoneParkGuy

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
88   0   0
Any filter socks?? if so pretty sure this has happened to others aswell as myself. At times the filter sock when starting to clog up can retain water without adding to the sump volume and the flow from the DT remain the same. Like a beaver's damm. The water IN the filter sock only starts to rise. Thus the appearence of water almost evaporating overnight. Have you made water line markers on the sump and side corners of DT to see where water levels are when full and when it is low. G L and hope this helped, if at all.

Awibrandy

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
182   0   0
I'm with beerfish, and OctaviousMonk on the overflow thing.;) It happened with my 155 once until I noticed that the overflow slits were clogged with algae! I too now clean it out periodically.:)

Noel also makes a good point with the socks. When I used socks they would clog quickly, unfortunately for me I didn't have a sock holder so they sort of rested near the rim of my sump, and the water would end up on my floor, and basement.

Let us know what you eventually found to be the problem please! I am curious to the max with this one.;)

topmav1

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
Ok so I still have no idea what happened but I do know that the water did not evaporate. I found that the water that "leaked" was soaked up by the carpet on the other side of the wall where the tank is. Theres a 1/2" space bet the floor and the baseboard so the other the carpet soaked up a lot of water which explains why there was no visible sign of water. I still can't explain how it leaked b/c the stand should have been wet if the sump overflowed or the wall should show some kind of browning if the tank leaked. Only other thing can be the Hang on fuge but still no sign of water stains on the wall or anything. SO, the water cleary left the tank/sump/fuge area, question is how...

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: