bonomo53

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
151   0   0
I would say under 7 is low and over 10 is high but there are a lot of other variables. For example someone could be running their alk at 11 with high nutrients and not have any issue where someone running the same alk with low nutrients will cause rtn and stn.

Rating - 100%
10   0   0
7-10 is a good range. But don't chase numbers. Monitor them, but if all is well then leave things alone.

If your corals look healthy and have good extension then your alk is right where it needs to be.

When they act weird....then start tweaking

reefiness

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
215   0   0
generally we run our tanks at a higher alk than corals are used in the wild which is closer to the 6-7 range. I try to keep my tank between 7-8 now after seeing some very successful tanks kept at lower alk levels than the 9 I previously had been shooting for.

With that said, more important than the actual number is the ability to keep consistency. If you had a tank which maintained an alk of 5 and it never deviated from that, it would be a much healthier system than a tank with alk swings between 7-9 on a regular basis.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: