piranhapat

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
To me this is one of the best Hobbies to be a part of. Especially owning Aquarium in my home. Of course challenging and expensive. But what makes some of us go so crazy. What makes it so addicting? How many times you go on tablet, computer, smartphone just to read something about the hobby. What's your passion fish or coral or both? My question here why are we a small community yet it so addicted to some of us. How or Who got you into this hobby? While other people wouldn't even think about placing a Aquarium in there home. Yet I couldn't image being without one.

b-ridge

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 87.8%
79   11   0
I couldn't agree with you more. There is nothing more relaxing to me than coming home from work and seeing the glow of my tank. Going over to the tank and seeing all of the life forms. The fish. The corals. The shrimp.
Yes this hobby is only as expensive and difficult as we make it. It was a challenge at first for me. Then I set goals and was more excited as I completed each goal. First goal was just to get a fish tank. Then it was setting it up. Then the cycle. Then my first testing of parameters. Then my first fish. Feeding first fish. Then corals. Now it's just keeping everything alive and stability.
I love how my tank is a conversation piece in my home. Anyone who comes over whether it be the cable guy. Friends. Co-workers. Etc come over someone always comments on my tank. My kids friends comes over and I love how my 9 year old daughter can explain mostly everything going on in the tank. Explaining to her friends what each fish is. Each coral. The purpose of the snails and crabs. Etc. Since my tank can be seen from both sides I love sitting at my dining room table eating with the family and seeing the fish. Then I love sitting in my living room with the fireplace on and watching TV and being able to see my tank. It is awesome
I enjoy buying equipment eventhough half the stuff I don't need. I look forward to new items coming out supposovely making our tanks easier to maintain. I enjoy meeting new people sometimes and the knowledge that some give. I like seeing other people tanks and see there methods of what they have and how they maintain it. As I write this I think what is there not to like about this hobby

MIKE NY

Two Decade Club
Rating - 100%
204   0   0
The hobby is so much more popular in recent years and still growing compared to when I first set up my tank 26 years ago. The information that's available along with the advances in equipment and the caring of theses animals as come a long way in making this hobby more popular as people are willing to try as opposed to years ago. Also the availability of these animals and equipment has also increased the popularity.

Johnny Spesis

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I just started in May after being out of the hobby for the past 25 years. I couldn't remember much, but thanks for a chemical background. I did remember one thing......Go As Big As You Can! I went to a 180, and loving it. I'm amazed at the growth, how quickly stuff reproduces, finding the new stuff, and adding to the eniviroment I've created. I'm sure the Senior members must laugh about us new guys with all the questions and excitement. I haven't figured out where the high maintenance is, but I spend hours......Watching!!! I don't watch TV any more. The expense out weighs the sanity. And now I have an Endless Summer! Mission accomplished!

theMeat

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
29   0   0
Guess when they say things come back into style every 30 years or so it's true. Remember in the early 80's this hobby was HUGE. Right around when bio balls came out, and was the latest and greatest that everyone had to have. LFS where packed. Don't know if it'll get that popular again, but the hobby has come a long way, and sure is an exciting time to be in it. Now with the internet, and the ease of people sharing ideas and knowledge, info seems to be growing faster and faster. As well now you can get stuff from around the world.

Last edited:

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: