New65Reefer

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is the IO anenome? SOmeone please tell me....

So my tank has been up and running for 4 months now and everything (all 7 tests I do weekly) has been stable for 3 months. So now I want an anenome.

I am aware of the anti-anenome sentiments out there, so those of you please do not respond since I am going to get one. If I don't have the resources to handle it now, I can afford to order up at MarineDepot.

I have a 65G with 2x96W lighting. I will complete my lighting with a 2x96W addition this week. This gives me a total of 4x96W over my 65G. But then is W/G all that important? I'll leave that to another thread....

So I'm looking for an anenome with say 2" tenacles. Actually I'm looking for a nice looking anenome with untangled tenacles. Pictures of LT's at FFE look like twisted spaghetti while the Sebae's at my LFS look short (1") and fat. Then there are my bags of IO. I like the looks of those tenacles. What kind of anenome is that?

I'm looking for an anenome with long tenacles, but not too long so they are spaghetti-like and twisted. I want some thickness to them. I want some nicely colored tips. I suppose what I'm asking for is a Condy, but I do not want a Condy.

Someone please help me pick out the anenome I've been looking for.

Thanks

Emperator

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you must have an anemone, I would suggest a bubble tip. They are hardy and their tentacles will not get too long.

Once in the tank it will wander around until it finds a spot it enjoys.

Feed it once a week with a bit of krill, fish or other seafood and it should do ok.

Minh Nguyen

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The responsible thing to do is to see what it is that you want. Research and get your tank to provide the environment that the animal needed and then get the animal.
Your tank is too new yet. Wait a while and don't buy one until you know ahead of time what it need and have your tank ready for it. As it is, I don't think your tank is ready for any anemone. Dr. Ron has a new book about anemone and how to care for them. I suggested that you buy it. I have not seen it but I do have one of his books. I believe that you can get excellent information there.
I am not against you having an anemone. After all, anemone and clown fish was what infected me with this reef fever in the first place. I made mistake like you did. I got an Ocellaris and a Condy. This was 20 years ago. Needless to say, both died. I hope you can learn from my mistake. IMO, learning from other people experiences is really what separate human from other animals. I do think that you should know about the animal you buy ahead of time, especially anemone, fish and other animal that we do not routinely successfully propagates in captivity.
If this is not what you want to read, then tough luck. You can ignore all my other post.

Quillen

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ummm.. I will try to find a bag of IO salt to look at, mine doesn't have that picture (maybe you can find it in the link below). I would think that the bubble tip would give you the look you desire. Long tenticle anemones are good chunk of what you would find at pet stores. Seabae (the other typical) are beautiful, but die super easily. If water conditions change even slightly, then it is gone.
You may find this link useful: http://www.biodiversity.uno.edu/ebooks/ch1.html#crypto
and here is the link to the Dr Mac site, they have excellent pictures and stock. http://www.drmaccorals.com/sys-tmpl/door/
Good luck

KumByYa

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I suggest yo hold off the anemone purchase until you learn to recognize the anemones. How would you care for the darn thing if you dont even know what its name is ?

Chucker

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
iogrpb.gif

My best guess is bubble-tip, Entacmaea quadricolor, although the clowns in the pic are not a natural symbiont with that particualr anemone species. I'd suggest doing a little reading here (same link as Quillen, but it's the root for the page) before proceeding much further.

[ July 12, 2001: Message edited by: Chucker ]

Quillen

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm glad to hear that you are going to go about it responsibly. I tend to give people the benefit of assuming that they have best intentions. I started in my library for research materials, checked out books and purchased the ones I liked. Feel free to ask more questions, they are always welcome
icon_smile.gif

Quillen

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whoops.. silly me. Sorry about not linking to the chapters, I couldn't help looking at the anemones again. This is an excellent page for learning and ID.

New65Reefer

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now just because I can't ID an anenome from a picture of a few of it tips......

Minh...that's exactly what I want to read, and I'm going to buy the book. Thanks for the info.

And to the persons who gave me the biodiversity page, that's a lot of good info too.

Just to ease everyone's minds, I'm not buying anything this week. I am in the research phase and reading up. I can't see myself purchasing for at least two months.

I take a long time to get things done, so I have to start early. And I like to start here since the info comes fast and there are such knowledgeable people here.

Thanks again and keep the good info coming.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would guess S.gigantea is the anemone in the photo due to the coloration and anemonefish hosted. I've never seen that colour on a BTA. S.gigantea sometimes get moderately bulbous tips. Some condys also resemble the one on the bag as well.

I wouldn't be suprised that it has been enhanced to sell more salt.

Now back to the thought of keeping anemones. We would not be where we are today if the NO ANEMONES cry was adhered to. So,I say get one. But only after researching anemones first. Then buying the one which you can provide for.

IMO your tank is still about six months too young for an anemone. A tank should be kept for a year with no wild swings or catastrophes before opting for an anemone. They are very slow at showing displeasure or injury. So a keen eye is needed to recognize stress early.

GL

Dan

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As a ponder it more I am leaning more towards H.magnifica. Same purplish tips,bulbous,with percs/ocellaris in it. Almost certain.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: