DaZe

Reefer
sorry i have no pic to attach , but i'll try to detail it as much as possible, i can barely see it, it hides under the rocks alot, it looks like a lobster , it has two claws, orangish-red in color maybe?? and looks like it may have a yellow or orange stripe going down its back, and has a tail like a lobster, its small, maybe inch and a half long maybe two inches, i think i got it when i got a piece of florida live rock from my lfs, well thats the best i can do to help with the description, so if anyone knows what it is , and can tell me if its harmful to my tank or not?? i would appreciate it
thanks

MedicineMan1

Advanced Reefer
I can't give you a positive ID on this critter but the lobster tail and two claws are NOT a good sign.

Does it hold its claws up in front of it, kind of like a preying mantis? Are its eyes on stalks? These would be suggestive of a mantis shrimp, which also has a lobster-like tail and many are very colorful.

There are a couple of different methods for capture. One is a store bought trap. My personal fav is to cut the top of a plastic pop bottle off and attach it inverted so that it makes a funnel like device of the opening. From the inside it makes a sort of Elizabethan collar for escape. Place a piece of krill or other meaty goody in the bottle, fill it with tank water and place it near the culprit's favorite hang out. Check it every couple hours (in the morning when you get up is fine, you don't have to stay up all night!) It's also a very good method for catching cleaner shrimp and other inverts, wanted or unwanted.
HTH!

A

Anonymous

Is one claw much larger than the other? It could be a pistol shrimp.

Neosapian

Reefer
From the way you describe it, I think it could be a pistol shrimp. I have one that has the exact same coloration! As Guy said, if one of the claws is larger than the other, then it's probably a pistol shrimp. Does the shrimp has bluish legs? (Except the red claws) If it is a pistol shrimp then it will be safe for your reef tank. You can try matching it up with a watchman goby too
icon_biggrin.gif

DaZe

Reefer
thanks guys for yout replies, like i said it hides under the rocks alot , so i have a hard time seeing exactly what it looks like!! i'll try to get a better look, right now my lights are off so i cant see nothing, butt i've had it in my tank for over a month i suspect, and i dont see any signs of damage to the tank yet, i'll try to get a better description, maybe i can catch it too!!

cgbexec

Experienced Reefer
If it did come off a piece of Fl. Live rock, it is a Pistol Shrimp. Mantis Shrimp do not have claws that look like Maine lobster. They are Reef safe. Enjoy!!!!!!
icon_biggrin.gif

DaZe

Reefer
well after looking for the dang dritter for a week i finally found him in my tank again, i bought some more rock, so now he has more hiding places!! lol , anyway, yes one claw is bigger than the other , alot bigger in fact, he only cam eout from under the rick for a sec today during feeding, so all i saw was his claws, i still didnt get chance to see his eyes or legs, but i'm assuming its a pistols shrimp from everyones description of them though, my only ? left now is whats the prob with mantis shrimp?? do they distroy the reefs?? if so , thats not what i have, my tank looks fine

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: