A

Anonymous

I'd just like to know how an animal that constantly falls over, turns over, slips, trips and ends up lying helplessly on its back could ever survive in the wild.

Any ideas?

A

Anonymous

:lol: I've often wondered this myself. My only conclusion is that if the reef was large enough it would end up on more rock somewhere else down below. As soon as they touch the sand you're correct - they're toast.

A

Anonymous

Eureka!!

Wings, that's the answer I was looking for...

wings":1p4c29ga said:
: My only conclusion is that if the reef was large enough it would end up on more rock somewhere else down below.

It makes sense that they might even be falling intentionally, in order to drop to an area of the reef with more food.

bleedingthought

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man, I have never had to turn mine over! I have done it before, when I'm cleaning the tank and I accidentally push them over and they fall on the sad, I've seen them struggle with getting back up and I'll turn them, but have never turned them over otherwise and have never had one dead!

There must be enough in the wild for them to be ok if a lot of them die like that, though.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You know what is odd, is I see this behavior in astreas that are newish to the tank, under 4 months in the tank or so, but it seem once they have been in the tank for a long time, they don't have this issue.

Does this happen in anyone elses tank? Maybe the little ones are less stable? or it takes them a really long time to adjust to transport? If I knock one of the old timers off the glass, he flips right back up and keep on truckin'.

bleedingthought

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One thing is that my some of my astreas are constantly near the top of the water. Some of them climb up to my powerfilter on the nano, where the water trickles back down. Some of them stick out the water. Some of them will stay on the bottom of my center brace where water isn't even constantly hitting!

Seems like some of them are fervently trying to escape! 8O

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On a bare bottom its not an issue. They just aren't well adapted to sand, I guess.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: