Simma

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As you can tell Im new here and to reef tanks. I've been browsing around for awhile now and just decided to create an account when I started looking for a tank.

Well I got a tank but am unsure about the lighting on it.

I do know its metal halide and just wanted some peoples opinions on it. Anyway anyone can help me determine exactly what I have?

I've attached pictures of everything.

1.JPG

2.JPG

3.JPG

4.JPG

5.JPG

6.JPG

I've also heard that MH lighting is an energy hog and was wondering how it compares to a T-5 setup. What one would be more economical?

If I were to sell this lighting what would it be worth?

Thank you in advance.

Simma

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So far what I got is that the big aluminum ballast is for the MH and the smaller black plastic one is for the blue lights.

Also since this will be in a living space I need to conceal the wires as much as possible. Is there a more compact lighting setup that can be concealed much easier?

Belwell

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
Looks to me like you have a hood with dual 150w hallides and 4 blue actinics (might be 2 was hard with the reflection), those are the long thing tube bulbs. Where did you pick up that light? Looks like an older one, but just as effective. Should do fine on what looks like is a 72 bow front 48in wide. That light though might be 36in wide...hard to tell. It should be a fine start for the tank although eventually youd want same width.

Simma

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Belwell,

Thank you for the reply.

Looks like you are right, dual hallides and 4 bue actinics. It is a 36" hood.

I got the light with the whole setup that I bought. The one ballast has a sticker for customsealife.com which looks like they went out of business.

If Im going to upgrade this what do you think I could sell this setup for?

Thank you,

Belwell

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
I am guessing to the right person you might get $100 maybe $150 for it, probably not too much more. If you upgrade I would seriously ask yourself how much you want to spend, could easily spend $3k on LEDs for that tank in a heartbeat. Hopefully you have a chiller for your tank since you are running hallides? They get very very hot and will overheat your tank.

Simma

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am guessing to the right person you might get $100 maybe $150 for it, probably not too much more. If you upgrade I would seriously ask yourself how much you want to spend, could easily spend $3k on LEDs for that tank in a heartbeat. Hopefully you have a chiller for your tank since you are running hallides? They get very very hot and will overheat your tank.

Just another reason why Im looking to change them out :)

TRIGGERMAN

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
172   0   0
You could easily hang them above the tank to take heat away and avoid a chiller, especially if you have ac on. This will also help your light spread as well. It's really up to you man depending on what you want to do. If you decide you want to go T5 instead I have a few 48" fixtures I would part with let me know. Good luck either way man and welcome to MR

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: