Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I have a 110 gallon reef tank (4' wide) that is about 2 months old and currently has fish, a few lps and zoas in it but plan on getting sps. Right now all I have is the two return nozzles from the return pump for water flow and my next purchase is powerheads. I'm assuming I'll need at least three of them, one upper right, one upper left and one to shoot behind the live rock at the back of the tank. Now here are the questions:

1. Do you think I should pre-plan for installing a wavemaker system of some sort or will just having the powerheads on all the time be fine?

2. I hear Tunze are the best, if so what sizes do you recommend for this tank?

3. If you think I need a wavemaker in the future, will the Tunze heads work with it?

I was considering the Koralia heads because of the price point but I hear they don't work well with a wavemaker if that is the way to go.

Any ideas ?

Much thanks, Jeff

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Yeah...Vortech's would be nice but at over $300 per head it will add up the $$$, Trying to get some good heads and not break the bank. Looks like Tunze might be an option. Any ideas on model numbers and if a wavemaker device is needed ?

masterswimmer

Old School Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 99.6%
448   2   0
Also suggesting to save your money and buy VorTechs. Why waste the $$ now only to replace the pump with a VorTech down the road.

Even if you buy only one MP40w now, add another one or two down the road, it will STILL be better than the other brand.

Russ

tosiek

Rating - 100%
48   0   0
One MP40 will cover your tank easily. You might have to install a small MJ1200 with a maxijet mod on the other side of the tank if your not happy with the flow there (or a koralia or something).

Save your money and get them. Its worth it. A 2 pump wavemaker system from tunze is going to run you about the same as a vortek and work half as good =0)

dacaptain78

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
25   0   0
If money is not an issue I would suggest either two Tunze or two Vortec for your tank so they can work in tandem with eachother. I have both and they both perform fairly equally IME. They both have lots of different settings to cater to almost any set up, and they both push a lot of water. The Vortec's are much sexier looking though.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: