A

Anonymous

OK, so I've been into the hobby for a while now and I keep reading here about ORPs. What the @!*$ are they?

------------------
My drug habit cost less, but reef colors are better!

A

Anonymous

Oxegen Reduction Potential I believe this effect you ph because of the saturation of oxegen, vs co2 or something but am NOT clear on this

A

Anonymous

I measure redox(orp) on two of my tanks, but don't inject o3(ozone). Actually ph has an effect on orp readings. When a reef tank is in its mid illumination cycle redox is normally at its lowest. This is due to a few things, but mainly to the increase of metobolic activity of our corals. There is an increase of organic levels which lowers our waters' ability to disolve more organics. In turn a decrease will be seen on a redox meter. In a fish only tank it is actually the opposite, when the lights are off redox potential(numbers) will go up. I find it useful in my fish only tank(one of them). As noted earlier Thiel has quite alot on the subject.

Bill

A

Anonymous

Medicineman:

Simply put, ORP (or redox potential) is the balance between oxidation and reduction, just as pH is the balance between acid and base.

If things are happening in the tank that consume excessive amounts of oxygen and other oxidizing substances (like bacterial degradation of a dead organism or reaction with dissolved organics), the ORP will tend to be lowered. If you are adding highly oxidizing compounds to the water (like ozone) the ORP will tend to be artificially high.

Unfortunately, there a tons of other things that impact OPR readings, making them not especially useful. Some people monitor ORP trends, and that has merit.

------------------
Randy Holmes-Farley

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: