RajDog

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
24   0   0
Hey,
I bought a red fromia starfish I believe it is Fromia indica and I have had in the tank a short time about 10 days. I got back last night and the 3 of the tips of the starfish looked like they were clipped with scissors practically. I'm trying to figure out who it is, I really don't want to torture this guy. I have a bunch of hermits, mostly zebra, a few blue leg and scarlets, 2 clownfish, 1 tassel filefish (doesn't touch any coral) and 1 yellow watch man goby. The tank is a 75 with about 100 pounds of rock. The star seemed to be doing well, the live rock where it was slowly passing over looked sparkling clean like it has been eating well my but I'm not sure. Any ideas?
Thanks

RajDog

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
24   0   0
Does anyone know what it looks like when it is disintegrating? From what I read white mush. That sucks if it is, I patiently waited for a fromia because I read they are hardier and reef safe in tropical fish hobbyist and the article said the linkia's don't make and should be avoided. You would think it would look like this when it is dying:
attachment.php

But mine doesn't have any white or mushy endings, sharp square endings into a bright pink/red middle really like it was cut. Is there anything I can do?

Last edited:

Solace Aquatics LLC

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
Unfortunately I agree. It is really NOT known what they eat, from what I have read, been told, and experienced, they eat a very specific type of sponge. As I said it is not known, this is just an educated guess. I imported Linkia once, and they all perished. That was over a year ago and have not imported them since.

Another animal that should be kept in the ocean.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: