jackson6745

SPS KILLER
Rating - 99%
201   2   0
I borrowed my friends camera to take some macro shots and the bone-head that I am, broke the camera. I put the CF card in the wrong way initially and I guess I bent some of the prongs inside the camera. I tried different CF cards and I get a message on the camera that says Err CF.

Where would you guys recommend getting the camera fixed? Any good local places? Thanks for any help.

Just for giggles here is one of the photos I got before I broke the camera (100mm Canon lens)
ronenscamerapics020.jpg

Wes

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Rich,

Fill out the repair request on Canon. They walk you through the process of sending it in, etc. My wife broke a digital canon. The process was simple, quick, and fairly priced. When it comes to camera repair it's best to have it factory repaired imo.

https://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/...RepairBookingAct&fcategoryid=215&modelid=9430

After they get the camera, they check it out and send you an email itemized list of everything that needs to be done and a price. You then pay and they start right away. I had to get the LCD replaced and the lens fixed. I had it back within 2 weeks after shipping it out

Last edited:

jackson6745

SPS KILLER
Rating - 99%
201   2   0
Thanks for the suggestion chief

Wes I think you're right. I will contact them tomorrow. Do they offer a warranty on their work?

ming

LE Coral Killer
Rating - 100%
272   0   0
Rich, they offer warranty on their products, but I believe its only if its defective. I'm not sure what you did would qualify, but you can try, and worse case scenario, they'll give you an estimate.
I just got back my digital camera back from Canon in slightly under 2 weeks. My USB port went bad and they fixed it under warranty.

jackson6745

SPS KILLER
Rating - 99%
201   2   0
I sent the camera out to Canon and they gave me an estimate for $216!!!!!
So much for being reasonable.
This was the explanation/details in their email
"WILLNOT TAKE PICTURE,CF PIN BENT, CHECK AND CLEAN ALL FUNCTIONS.MINIMUM LABOR RATE, INCLUDES MINOR PARTS"

Lincoln%20Rape.jpg

Keith P

Mr. No-Show
Rating - 100%
37   0   0
216$!?!? ouch! I would get a second estimate...
I've used a credit card to straighten the pins on CPU's before (you can get great deals on bent-pin CPU's on eBay). Can you see the bent pins down in there?

jackson6745

SPS KILLER
Rating - 99%
201   2   0
I called the factory repair place and they offered me %20 off the labor charge which is about a $40 "savings" :irked:

I'm such a sucker. I think I'm going to do it ?????

BZOFIQ

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
46   0   0
that Sucks. I would have given it another try trying to straighten it out before sending in. Even if you were to screw it up, that whole port gets replaced anyway. Dang $216 i a lot for such simple fix.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: