blackcloudmedia

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys,
My fiance and I are planning ahead for our honeymoon and want to have a good snorkelling trip. Have any of you been to Hawaii and seen the reefs? If so which Island is the best for viewing corals?

Len

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Congrats :)

I'd recommend Maui. The diving and snorkeling there is awesome, and it makes for a good honeymoon location too.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah when you get off the plane and wait for your luggage check the information stands there are a bajillion pamphlets for various things, including some free information, like the various good snorkling places along the way.

blackcloudmedia

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cool thanks! :D luckily we have plenty of time to reserve a place, we're waiting until were finished with college so like 2012. I cant wait to smim amongst the corals.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Too bad you're not going to Bali. Now there are some coral reefs. When we were there a Hawaiian couple arrived near the end of our visit. They just happened to be collectors in Hawai'i, and they could not stop talking about how the islands just didn't even compare to Bali.

:) Something to look forward to (oh, and get scuba certified, you won't regret it!).

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yeah, and don't expect to see much in the way of acropora type corals :D

Ben1

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My sister lives in honolulu and I went there over last december. The reefs were ok, saw different corals then I would diving in the caribbean. The fish though were awseome it was like seeing all the fish I see at my LFS but 100x the size. Who would of thought some of these tangs can get so big, and the barbs are like steak knifes sticking out. Honolulu itself is like going into crack town though wasnt for me, lots of high end shopping though if thats your thing. I went snorkling with my cell phone and was able to walk to the apple store and get a new one.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
:lol: Why do men keep doing that? I can't tell you how many phones the three boys between myself and Dave have had to be replaced because they went swimming with them.

You're scuba, yes Ben? You really should go to Bali sometime. The people are great, too.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah the fish are huge! I saw a Naso tang that was about the size of my chest and decided to inspect me... man those bright orange barbs freaked me out though, he could have gutted me easily. Also saw what looked like a long spined urchin the size of a beach ball, I can only approximate this because the water was about 30 feet deep and it looked huge from that distance.

blackcloudmedia

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cool thanks for the tips, Im guessing its mostly softies? Wish I could go to bali but hard to convince the bride to be that indonesia is the place to go :lol:

Ben1

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You're scuba, yes Ben? You really should go to Bali sometime. The people are great, too.

Yeah I love to dive, used to go alot more though. My son turns 10 this year so can get the jr padi cert, what a joke that cert is but w/e I need a new dive buddy. When my sister lived close we could go all the time but not anymore. I would love to go to bali, need to save up some funds for that trip though lol. I am going to the BVI again in december and bringing my exwifes parents, that should be fun lol. I miss diving need to get out more...heres me a few years back at the rhone looking sloppy lol. My sister does drift dives there and really sees some cool stuff. She went diving with a new guy last year and he was a UW photographer. She said he was luring out morays by irritating them and swam into a cave and pulled a nurse sharks fin to get it to come out so he could get his shots. She wouldnt dive with him again since he wouldnt respect the enviroment. When I dive in the caribbean with my sister we pull up trash and old anchor lines and crap we find while diving. I may have uprighted a seafan or two in my time also lol.

Anyhow have fun BCM, I saw some SPS like encrusting montis and such in hawaii but we just did snorkeling when I was there so it was pretty limited.

Attachments

• BenRhone.jpg
    BenRhone.jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 84
A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
blackcloudmedia":o78cp9v1 said:
Cool thanks for the tips, Im guessing its mostly softies? Wish I could go to bali but hard to convince the bride to be that indonesia is the place to go :lol:

The majority of SPS that I remember seeing were those "bushy" types more so than branching, similar to a Stylophora, although they could have been pociliporas, I did see a boulder or two (literally car sized) that was completely covered with some type of encrusting montipora. I didn't see many softies, however I mostly stayed at one spot simply because it was quite nice and secluded, I did go to some other spots and I did see softies, and some different fish but either way, doesn't matter if it's junk you'd never want in your tank there's something special about seeing them in the wild.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: