BobNY

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
+1 For the MP40W.
I currently have only one on my 125 placed on the left side of the tank. I have a Koralia EVO1400 on the the other side.
The side with the MP40 is definitely healthier looking. I just ordered a 2nd MP40 today to replace the Koralia.

E.intheC

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
150   0   0
What's your budget? Are you going with a FOWLR? Full reef? SPS/LPS/Softies?

Controllable Tunzes are a great option here as well. Their flow isn't as wide as the Vortechs, (still wide enough) but that's actually a good thing here. On a tank that's 6ft wide and 18 inches front to back.. the flow will carry itself to the middle of the tank better with more of a laminar flow pattern.

WilFresco

Master Debator
Rating - 97.8%
88   2   0
What's your budget? Are you going with a FOWLR? Full reef? SPS/LPS/Softies?

Controllable Tunzes are a great option here as well. Their flow isn't as wide as the Vortechs, (still wide enough) but that's actually a good thing here. On a tank that's 6ft wide and 18 inches front to back.. the flow will carry itself to the middle of the tank better with more of a laminar flow pattern.

for now i have a fowlr setup, im not looking for something thats gonna cost me a month's rent, but im not trying to get anything cheap either

E.intheC

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
150   0   0
I have a 90 gallon FOWLR, and picked up a used Tunze 6100 w/controller to supplement my Koralias. Really, you don't need Vortechs or newer Controllable Tunzes for a FOWLR. You still need adequate flow, but you can get that with Koralias or non-controllable Tunzes, and you save a good amount of money.

However, if you're thinking of starting a reef soon, it's probably better to buy controllable powerheads first rather than buying cheaper equipment now and upgrading later.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: