• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

percula

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Which ROck to buy? Paragon Aquatics...

Fiji Raw Plant Rock 40-44 lb. box (uncured)
or
Fiji Premium Rock 40-44 lb. box (uncured)
or
Cured Premium Fiji Rock

Which one? Anyone bought the plant rock?

Thanks everyone! - perc

MontanaRocknReefer

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi! I don't care how much they say their rock is cured you will need to still watch it for a few days.
As far as preference in rock that is your choice since I have not bought from this place. I have 120lbs of Figi rock and 20lbs of Tonga rock and like it very much. Johnny
icon_smile.gif

andre1

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you can`t beat their rock
i have bought over 400 lbs.
some cured some i cured myself
happy with both products
best rock i have seen

fishfarmer

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mike does an excellent job curing it, the show rock and regular cured rock I picked up had numerous corals and various macro algae sprigs, as well good coralline coverage. I would like to see what he gets fresh out of the box though.

Lunchbucket

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i would get some uncured. i bought cured and not regret it. w/ uncured you would hopefully get more good stuff on it. only if you have an empty tank that is

later
Lunchbucket

Reeffreak

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just bought from Paragon, the Fiji Raw, and I do have to say that the rock is good and Mike is very good with customers.

I guess it matters where you are placing the rock. Is it going to go into an established system? If so buy the cured rock. I agree with MontanaRocknReefer about watching cured rock. There is almost always some die-off after shipping.

So if the rock is going into a new system, I would buy the Raw rock. There will be quite a bit of die-off of brown macro algae but I already see some of the green macros growing. You will also have to put up with unwanted critters but I think I have spotted 7-9 corals so far on the rock.

Steve

Emmitt

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm looking to get around 100lbs of LR and am considering Paragon. I don't doubt that theirs is great rock. That and the fact that their actually in the Northeast makes it attractive to get from them. But... is it a couple $$/lb better than what you could get from, say, Jeffs?

Also, anyone know why Paragon's premium Fiji is 4.99 mail order and 6.$$ in store? I was thinking of going down to pick some up, but not if it's going to cost more.

percula

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah... ok, so Ive decided Im only going to get a box, thus down to premium or raw plant...

Dont worry bout the cycle thing guys Ive been through it a few times... (I got a bullet this time around:cool
icon_smile.gif

Reeffreak, would you say the plant orck is better than the premium? Does it have different shapes, less/more coralline algae, what unwanted critters did you get, and anything else?

Thanks guys appreciate.

fishfarmer

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Emmit, from what I've seen Paragon's rock prices are comparable if not slightly competitive for New England. I saw his garage establishment before he moved, VERY impressed with the quality of his livestock. I had a hard time choosing which pieces of rock to take, they all looked great. Being able to go down there and hand pick pieces that have been cured in store is worth the extra money IMO.

[ August 03, 2001: Message edited by: fishfarmer ]

Emmitt

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, albee and fishfarmer. Thinking about it, the extra $$ it costs to buy in store is about what it would cost to ship it. Makes sense.

Think I'll be making a trip to CT next week.

Jacob1

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Emmitt call and talk to Mike. He may be willing to give you the internet price considering you are driving 2 1/2 hours. He did for me. Also tell him you are bringing a big cooler to put it in. This saves him the cost of the box and a cooler will keep the rock moist and cool on the car ride home. I love the rock I got from Paragon tons of life and ABSOLUTELY no ammonia spike, none, nada. I think you will be very happy as the rock and the people there are just great.
HTH
JAke

JohnD

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Emmitt,

I noticed the price difference also. I have been going to Paragon's site since early this spring. I am still in the process of readying my tank so I have not purchased any LR. I went to the website when board members said Paragon has a new store and I was little surprised in the price difference. After reading the boards' comments, that sounds resonable.

I am still working on the tank and still do not need the LR!
icon_redface.gif

Emmitt

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jacob, thanks for the idea. I sent Mike an email asking subtly, if there was any wiggle room on the in-store price. We'll see. I know the Mikes rock is probably primo, but it's hard not too seriously consider Jeff's $1.50 Vanisi base and $2.99 Marshall rock that's on sale.

JohnD, I know what you mean about STILL setting up your tank. 9 months ago I transferred all my critters to a 40gal breeder that's sitting on my pantry countertop "temporarily" while I remodeled the dining room where the new tank will reside. Finally got the new 90 about 1 1/2 months ago. I have one more coat of finish to put on the canopy before I can setup my lights. Oh yeah, I've got two completly separate systems set up with sumps in the basement going to these two tanks. Looks like Dr. Frankenstein works down there. This weekend I'm going to try and combine the systems so all water parameters will be equal. Maybe in a month I'll be ready to move the critters to their new home. Whew
icon_rolleyes.gif

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: