FrankB1

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Which rock would you choose for a 20 gal long SPS/clam reef?

1. All Marshall Island Rock from Premium Aquatics?

2. All Uaniva (Kaileni) Rock from SaltyCritter?

3. A mix of Ultra Bali, Eva and Uaniva (Kaileni) Rock from PhishyBusiness?

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Of those three, I have only bought MI from PA. It is awesome. You can call them to discuss the sizes and shapes that they have availabe so that you get what you need for your aquascape.

I also suggest that you try and pick up a mix of shapes, sizes and types from you local LFS. That way you can hand pick it and get some nice diversity.

Louey

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got premium hand picked Marshall Island rock from PA a month or so ago... and, honestly, as highly as I usually think of Jason Frey's operation, I'm just not that happy with the rock I got. Zero life apart from 'pods. Almost zero coralline algae. More like lumpy boulders then the marshall rock I used to get years ago.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love marshall rock. But since it's only a 20 long and you prob won't put but a couple pieces in there anyway, I really don't think it matters. Pieces are prob going to be so small you wouldn't notice much difference between the different rocks.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We got the MI rock from PA a few months ago. They did a great job selcting the rock size we wanted, but that stuff has zero life on it. Maybe has a few small spots of corraline. I thought it was rather expensive for what we got.

We did ask for the biggest pieces they could send and somehow they managed to find two huge rocks that snuggled perfectly in the box. So I felt they did what was asked, I just thought the rock was rather bland for the $$$$.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm about to see Tonga Huni for the first time in person in a couple weeks. I am anxious to see it. By I have always liked Marshall and the marshal I get is always awesome. Everyone always wishes they had bought more.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've always loved Marshall rock myself, but if this new batch I got is any indication of what the quality of it is like these days I may not use it again.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's not. Trust me. I've gotten Marshall recently and it was awesome. I understand it comes pretty much mostly from one collector, but how it's handled along the way by the different people in the chain has a huge impact. I've ordered it from one place and never been impressed. Always small pieces, white. Etc.

The other place I get it from, big huge pieces...last time I had three pieces over 20lbs and I believe I had only ordered round 90lbs that time...and it's always gorgeous.

Chubosco

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I go to phishybusiness here in Columbus, Oh., about once a month. I can tell you I droll over everthing they have and it's at a good price! Can't image them selling anything average. No kidding!

FrankB1

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for th replies, I know I only need a small amount of rock but still want great shaps and max life. In addition I really don't care for rock that looks like branching coral pieces but rather prefer gnarly, cragly (sp) looking rock so I think Kaileni (Uaniva) fits that look better.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: