• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

thirty6

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
229   0   0
I did some Internet surfing and seems ge I and II may now have mildew resistant chemicals....
Anyone use the dap 100% silicone, says aquarium safe on label?
Let me know what you have used recently. The info on ge product was from April and may of this year, not sure if legit but ill pass on it all the same.

duromega

Fish Hoarder
Staff member
Rating - 100%
146   0   0
WARNING: GE Silicone I and II probably no longer safe due to added mildew inhibitor

GE Silicone I and II, long used by fish- and frog-keepers and generally thought of to be aquarium safe, is probably no longer so. GE began using mildew inhibitors (Bioseal) recently in most their silicone products, even if the label says "100% silicone" and doesn't mention anything about mildew. According to an email from GE, all their silicone has trace amounts mildew inhibitors now except for the 1200.

The result? People are reporting massive fish and coral die-off. I'm sure frogs would be affected too, although perhaps not as much.

I been using Aqueon Aquarium Silicone for the last projects

ifarmer

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
I have been using ge I and II to build 4 sumps in the last 3 years without any problems. Give it enough time to let it dry . once dry, let it soak in water for a few hours before you start using it

Affordable Aquatic

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
35   0   0
GE Silicon I is pure silicone and is safe. Silicone II has a fungicide and shouldnt be used in contact with food or I would suspect your reef. If you want to be 100% sure, AGA makes aquarium silicone in 10oz tubes for caulk guns and squeeze tubes and it comes clear and black.

If you decide to go with Home Depot silicone, get Silicone I, you will see it makes reference that its 100% pure silicone. The SII has language stating that it slows mildew or something to that effect.

Here is the MSDS for the Silicone II
http://facilities.fit.edu/documents/forms/MSDS/GE Silicone II GE 280.pdf

Clink51

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
30   0   0
agreed GE Silicone I has always been tank safe. Have used it in numerous tanks for patching up jobs. GE Silicone II is the turd in the water that brings the mildew resistance. Great for the shower, not so much for the fishies. ALSO, used Window & attic, not anything for the tubs, kitchen or shower, those def have Mildew inhibitors

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: