krak256

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
97   0   0
I'm currently using API's marine test kit, but I used Red Sea's before. I thought it wasn't reporting accurate results, so I switched over.

As for the API test kits, I think they're reporting accurately, but I'm still skeptical. Anyone have experience?

I'm thinking about picking up a API phosphate test kit. Between API, Red Sea, and Salifert, who has the best test kit? I ask because API has 150 tests at $8, Red Sea 60 tests at $10, and Salifert 60 tests at $24. Huge price/test ratio discrepancy....

vashawn

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
38   0   0
I think bepends if you have a fowler or reef tank...i have a reef tank so i use
Salifert....KH/Alkalinity, Calcium, Nitrite, Nitrate, and pH. Which is expensive. From what i'm told is that salifert is the best.

I just bought pinpoint Ph and Calcium monitor is it elimates me testing for dose two.
Maybe someone else can give their inout.

goisles1

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use the API master SW kit and it seems accurate.

I do find that the Nitrate Test colors are a little hard to match up. The first few look exactly the same to me.

Side note.. I just ordered the API Reef Master Kit yesterday as I'm starting to add corals. I guess for $20, if it's not so great I wont be too upset.
Some of the other reef kits looked to complicated for me, drawing samples with a syring, etc etc etc

masterswimmer

Old School Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 99.6%
448   2   0
I use Salifert.
LaMotte sells expensive but very accurate kits.

Phosphate titration test kits (reagents and color matching) are notoriously inaccurate. The best phosphate test is the Hanna Photometer (very expensive).

API tests for ammonia, ph, nitrites and nitrates are fair and somewhat acceptable. Once you start testing for Mg, Ca, ALK, PO4 I'd switch to Salifert.

swimmer

ecvernon

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
170   0   0
i own both brands ( API AND SALIFERT)

Phosphate---i use my hanna meter because either brand of test kit sucks for this

Calcium--- Salifert is more accurate. API does test pretty darn close though. the variation is always in the range of 20 ppm(1 drop from test tube before color turns) of calcium when compared to salifert. If i was using API i would aim for 460ppm So i could either be at 440 -480. this is also good to test the concentration of effluent from calcium reactor

KH--- Salifert is superior..Api is "Usable" to give an idea on what the KH is like but could be off by usually 1 - 1.5 DKH in measurement when compared to salifert kit.
API KH is useful when measuring concentration of alkalinity of effluent from a calcium reactor.

Nitrate/Nitrite- Ammonia .. For ME either test kit worked for me I got same results. salifert is a little more detailed they have a formula for low range measurements for these kits

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: