d5332

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 96.9%
94   3   0
Specs indicated that a mp10 will hold safely on glass up to 3/8" thick.

Who is successfully using a mp10 on 1/2" glass? anyone?

I dont think I need more than a mp10, I have a 1450 pump now and it beats the hell out of th corals, keeps them from fully opening up.

mp10 can go up to 1500 gph flow, mp40 is over kill for my tank.

Tank is 120g 4*2*2.

Anyone using a mp10 on half inch glass?

MikeC

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
213   0   0
I have 2 mp10's along with 1 mp40 on my 120 and I'm running a 2400 mag drive return there is no such thing as too much flow lol :thrash::thrash:

IMOP Overkill is a word people use when they are trying to convince themselves they don't need to spend more money ;)

Then again this is on a sps dominant tank.

d5332

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 96.9%
94   3   0
Damn!!!!

Mag 24 and 4 power heads!!!!! Nice

It seems SPS can take that kind of water movement. I am mainly LPS and softies, only have 1 sps which I just got to see how it goes.

Sounds like you dont have a problem with the glass thickness, Is the water movement of your MP10's noticeable on their own?

I have 2 mp10's along with 1 mp40 on my 120 and I'm running a 2400 mag drive return there is no such thing as too much flow lol :thrash::thrash:

IMOP Overkill is a word people use when they are trying to convince themselves they don't need to spend more money ;)

Then again this is on a sps dominant tank.

Imbarrie

PADI Dive Inst
Rating - 100%
61   0   0
I just joined the Vortech club on Friday with my MP40.
They are adjustable so you can throttle the flow back and not beat up your softies.
The programs available give a variable Reef Crest mode that is not the same as a continuous flow in one direction. It seems counter intuitive but it is a different flow when it is more random and the soft coral will not be affected the same as if it comes from a Koralia.
I have a BTA and several LPS and they are affected more than soft corals by high flow. The attachment point on LPS between the stony coral and the tissue can be a problem. My frogspawn are really enjoying it.

I have a 150 4 X 2 X 30" high so similar dimensions to your tank and I went with the MP40.

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
141   0   0
yes but imop not sufficient enough
+1 i had 2 mp40 on my 100 rimless tank .. Yeh i did have them turned down .. But still mp10 will have the problem att to the glass and will not b enough. I seen people but a bead of silicone to hold it up .. But i would do that. Im a firm believer in a slower rate in ur sump for better filtration you get.. If u want more flow then go with a mp40 .. But again thats my opinion

strgazr27

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
123   0   0
IMO if your running a mostly softie/zoo tank the returns and 2 MP10's would suffice if offset from each other. The biggest thing is your going to be running them at 80% to get the same flow as the 40's at roughly 30%. And you'll need a dab of silicone for them to hold.

d5332

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 96.9%
94   3   0
Yeah, I actually spent time last night watching youtube videos of Ecotech pumps in action.

MP40 is over kill for my type of tank BUT it does hold firmly on 1/2 inch glass.

MP10's can create waves in a 120 but the wet side spins when it's suppose to remain fixed and that can't be good, magnets def not strong enough which sucks.

Conclusion is--If I want crest waves I will have to dish out $465.00 for a MP40 which apparently I will use at less than 50% of its capacity, Over 50% its going to beat up the tank, kind of sucks.

I wonder if this is how we end up transitioning from LPS to SPS lol

Appreciate the feedback, I am still convince that all I need is a MP10 but damn vortech, they could have made it with a slight stronger magnet for ppl with LPS and softies.

Rating - 100%
141   0   0
let me get in on this thread also. I have a deep blue 75 gallon rimless with 2 mp40's on it anf the flow is way too much. But i refuse to sell them. So would i be able to use 2 mp10's on my tank?
you will have the same problem if ur glass is 1/2" which im 90% sure it is.. It will not hold up. .. The last thing u want is for the dry side to fall off and hit ur TANK and crack it.

Ligershark

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
41   0   0
I am almost done with my 57 rimless build and i went with a used oceanic illuminata over the deep blue for this reason. illuminata is 3/8", deep blue is 1/2". when i go to vortechs i now have the mp10 as an option.

cant help you on method or technique though, sorry. something tells me the next generation (whenever that may be) will have stronger magnets and be rated for 1/2".

d5332

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 96.9%
94   3   0
I thought long and hard and took your advice and tried it, purchased a MP10 and it works fine on a 1/2 inch glass 120 gallon tank.

I dont know the tank manufacturer but its either All Glass or Oceanic.

The MP10 arrived yesterday, I installed it at some point before 7pm and tested it.

The pump wet side does not spin on full speed.

The pump holds firmly and I am able to move the wet side by manuvering the dry side, the wet side does not break loose.

I tested the magnet strenght over night by leaving the pump on full speed and without the glue on safety zip ties, the pump held, woke up and the pump is still on the fish tank.
'
I cannot say that the pump will never fall off hence why the safety zip ties will be used.

Conclusion is the Mp10 works fine on my 1/2 inch thick glass fish tank. People wanting the features of a Vortech can probably try the MP10 instead of buying the MP40 may not get used at past 50% power.

In researching it I did find that glass lead may be a factor on whether or not the MP10 magnets will be sufficient to hold reliably on 1/2 inch glass, like I said, I have a standard 1/2 inch glass 120 gallon 48x24x24 fish tank and the MP10 works.

I purchased my MP10 brand new from a vendor instead of paying $200 for a used out of warranty MP10. I try to get around to registering this new pump sometime this upcoming week.

IMO if your running a mostly softie/zoo tank the returns and 2 MP10's would suffice if offset from each other. The biggest thing is your going to be running them at 80% to get the same flow as the 40's at roughly 30%. And you'll need a dab of silicone for them to hold.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: