Psyduck

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok just a general question. I have an overflow box (I know stupid me) and the water is moved from the box to the sump through I guess I would call "accordion" like flex tubing. I'm sure you know what I am talking about, basically it is corrugated on the outside. Anyways, I have noticed a great deal of salt appearing on the tubing and last time I adjusted it, I found the tube actually leaks because it appears to have cracked. I would think PVC would be much sturdier and less prone to leaking. I understand the one reason to use the flex tubing is so it can be easily adjusted to go around corners without having to rebuild the pathway each time you move your sump or change something. Just curious if there are any other reasons, or if most people do use PVC and I am just out of the loop. Thanks.

jbpig

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Once you use pcv you cant move the overflow w/o re doing your plumbing of course. I like the use of pvc cause you can put ball valves inline wherever you might need to control flow. HTH
icon_biggrin.gif

waterloomarc

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keep in mind that this is just my opinion, but I don't see why you couldn't use PVC providing your overflow moved enough water. The thing about using PVC is that all of the elbows etc. that you will have to use to make it flow into your sump will cause backpressure for the water. You must be careful to monitor the flow of your pump to ensure you don't have a flood. But once you calibrate your system again I don't see why it would be a problem, again provided your overflow can produce enough water-flow to not be affected too much by the increased resistance of the corners in the PVC.

Cheers

[ August 01, 2001: Message edited by: waterloomarc ]

Psyduck

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So if anything adding the PVC will cause the water level in my overflow box to go up due to loss of water flow correct? Right now the level in the overflow box is exactly even with the overflow tubes in the box, meaning it can handle everything I put into it. Do you recommend PVC gluing it to the overflow box or should it be ok just being fit with no adhesive? Thanks for the help.

davelin315

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should cement the first section giving yourself enough room to cut some off or add something on in the future and then use a slip fitting. This will allow you to make a tight seal, and also to remove the fitting when you want to move your overflow. Also, the PVC will generally handle your waterflow without a problem as most of it is rated for a larger flow than most pumps will pump out. Also, don't worry too much about overfilling your overflow because a siphon will be created. Just cut the overflow tubes down far enough to hold any filtering material you have (or just remove it altogether). The only thing you want to watch out for is that the back part of the overflow has a lower level than tank level because otherwise, your in tank siphon box will not skim very efficiently, and you will instead be leaving a film on top and pulling water from just under the surface instead of the actual surface water.

jrodzen

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have used PVC before to route water from overflows to the sump. I would recommend two things: 1) use a larger pipe size than your overflow pipe to account for head loss due to fittings, probably go up one nominal size (i.e. if your standpipe is 3/4", I would use 1" for the pvc), and 2) make sure the end of the pipe isn't submerged in the sump, let the water fall out of the end of the pipe into the sump, this well help bleed air out of the pipe so it doesn't screw up the works. If anything, you might have to play with the pipe size, like make it one or two sizes larger than your standpipe size. Also, as someone else mentioned, try minimizing the number of fittings you need to use (make it straight as possible). Hope this helps!

Jeff

Kelp

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn't know you couldn't. I have been for well over a year now! Sheesh, I wish some one had told me!!!

Psyduck

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok Kelp, don't be a smartass
icon_wink.gif
. I may have to try it this weekend and see what I can come up with. I should only have one small jog in the path, or I may be able to use a 45 degree elbow to get it under the tank and into the sump. I do like the ball valve idea as well for flow regulation.

fisherman

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is PVC flexible tubing which will work, but it's not that flexible. It can be glued, but I would not glue the entire pipe just in case you have to remove or move something.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: