aznt1217

Forever Noob
Rating - 100%
191   0   0
Hello Everybody,

The thought of downgrading my 72 Bow has been lingering on my mind lately and I have no idea why. These rimless cubes are really getting to my head... I just keep going back and forth with the idea.

What were your reasons for downgrading?

Did the tank take up too much space?
Did you just want a different/cleaner look?
Did you get sick of making A LOT of water?
Did you want to stop the temptation of buying more and more stuff (impossible)?

Just wanted to know people's thoughts.
:splitspin

Staaan

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
Your f*ing crazy bro.

Your tank is nice and mature just enjoy it...along with all the fish you can keep.

I think the huge reduction in width isn't the best thing since your a fish guy like me.. Unless you're converting to coralism.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ryangrieder

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
34   0   0
I downgraded my 72g to the 46g because me a few reasons...

I'm broke, and looking for a new job and really needed the money at the time.
Smaller tank ment filling it will be a lot cheaper.
instead of buying the 200g evs salt I can now buy the 50g. Saves money
I switched to the stainless steel bow and looks much nicer
25g water changed into 10g a week
Saved money on electric.
Don't need large equipment. Again cheaper.
Buying frags in the 72g did not prove much. Now frags look larger.
Less room filled up on wall.
Smaller clean up crews.
Smaller fish. Cheaper.
In the end it was money. I just could not afford it, but would not be happy with nothing. Now it I only found a new job I could make my 46g awesome.

louoner

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
72   0   0
yes the rimless ones like the one chinatown has, keeps popping up in my mind too, and like Ryan said less of everything mean less money to spend. I live on the 5th and the water pressure sucks whebn i got the rodi it take for ever for 20 gallon. my 72 maybe gone soon too

tosiek

Rating - 100%
48   0   0
I was contemplating downgrading to a 80/90g cube or tall tank a few months ago. The only thing stopping me was realizing the amount of time and work I put into my tank now.

I would have been using the same electric, spent the same money on coral, take the same time out for maintenance. The only difference would be to make a cool cube aquascape that everyone was posting and give myself about 3' of room in my computer room. IMO cube tanks are the best for easy awesome aquascaping and flow control.

ming

LE Coral Killer
Rating - 100%
272   0   0
I was contemplating downgrading to a 80/90g cube or tall tank a few months ago. The only thing stopping me was realizing the amount of time and work I put into my tank now.

I would have been using the same electric, spent the same money on coral, take the same time out for maintenance. The only difference would be to make a cool cube aquascape that everyone was posting and give myself about 3' of room in my computer room. IMO cube tanks are the best for easy awesome aquascaping and flow control.

I think you have better aquascaping options with your current tank. Once I finish my aquascaping in my new tank, you can be jealous though :lol:

Chiefmcfuz

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
47   0   0
My reasons for the downgrade to the AP24 was space, easier maintenance, Lower cost when it comes to supplies for maintenance, and then my upgrade to the 34 solana from my 24 g aquapod was that the solana is just plain sexy. The rimless cube is amazing. What I don't like about it is ............................. Nothing it is sexy!

Mattl22

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
98   0   0
I know this is about why downgrade but as someone who just upgraded from a solana i'd just like to say the small cubes r great but really limits ur options because of space being at a premium soooo I'd say downgrade just not too small maybe a 60

I'm very happy with my 75 IMO this size tank is perfect not to big not too small

Staaan

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
Lol yeah everyone has their preference but I'm just giving my opinion to Ted because for him it used to be about the fishes besides just coral. I think majority of fish swim side to side not up and down. Could be wrong though :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CHEMCHEF

PERMANOOB
Rating - 100%
79   0   0
Did the tank take up too much space? Yes
Did you just want a different/cleaner look? Also Yes
Did you get sick of making A LOT of water? Yes
Did you want to stop the temptation of buying more and more stuff (impossible)? N/A

Ted,
The rimless look is nice, but alot of maintenence. There is alway light salt creep on the inside of the glass at the top of the tank.
A razor blade works good, but how mant times can I nick the silicone before the tank goes kablewee.
Although dual solona's would look pretty sweet in your house.

Staaan

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
Heh.. I always wondered about that ChemChef..

I think if you're really limited on space... a cube is great.. especially if its rimless.

But... I like having fish.. so I guess I'm partial to the WIDE tanks now.

Especially after having this TINY 6g Nanocube... I hate sticking my hand in there, cause if

you move 1 inch to the right, left, front or back by too much you can end up knocking

something over...

I'm sure a 60g cube..won't have the same problem...

But having this nanocube has definitely shown me that Wider tanks are better... OF course IMO

richardhmc

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
29   0   0
I've always thought about upgrading to a big tank. Big for me, would be 180. I have a 50 gallon tank and I have decided that it is the best dimensions of a tank possible. The 50 wide allows room for aquascaping and swimming space.

With smaller tanks, I feel like I can have more control over it. I can aquascape it better compared to a 180, where I feel like I would just stack the rocks into a wall.

Also, smaller means less money, less hassle for maintenance, less stress.
Smaller tank = less water used for water changes = lower water bill costs.

Also with lights. Light pricing is determined by size. You add a foot of length on a light and the cost shoots up by a hundred dollars.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: