lnevo

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
106   0   0
Why don't you ask the people selling them?

What is stopping those selling or who have sold from answering here. For sale ads aren't the right place from that discussion, plus that would be asking only one person. Technically people also lock the thread once the item is sold, making this really the only place to ask such a question and gain a wide audience.

Last edited:

tunicata

Tunicate Tamer
Rating - 100%
163   0   0
my first thought:
Aren't there tons more MP sales on any given day or week than any other pump?
Lol, I feel that between the marketplace here and on RC, there are at least 3 MPs a day.

I have the gyre and I love it. I also have 2 mp40s and an mp10. I like the gyre more than the mp because it has better movement and on less power. I run the gyre no higher than 40% because I'd have sand storms and fish/coral that are being battered, and worse waves pushing over my tank. Mine is 48" long too!

I will say that the plastic on the cord has frayed by .5 inches. Not sure how. In the year I've had it I've only taken it out to clean it once. I wrote to maxspect and they are replacing the motor. Still works though. $0 to fix.

Also, for me, it is not difficult to put together or undo. Is it as simple as taking out the MP to clean? No.
But it is not difficult. Once I figured out how it works/goes together, it was easy.

BioMan

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
57   0   0
I love the GYRE 150!!!! But you gotta make sure you bought the new design. A lot of people bought them when they first came out and there was, just like any new product, flaws. I also had a torn cable about an inch off the unit. It also drastically reduced flow a week later. I ran them in reverse and so much crap got sucked into them that they spit a lot out. They're more powerful than the Vortech's, Have a more intricate design so instead of propellers they are barrel like and require "emptying". The original mounts were junk so if you buy them make sure they are the upgraded mounts and you won't have the pinched cable rip that a lot of people have. I have a 7 foot long 265 and full power it moves sand at the other end.
*IMO for what Vortech charges you can buy 2 GYRE and have a great time

BioMan

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
57   0   0
how would I know which version of the gyre I'm getting/buying when I buy it?? what should I look for??

Glad you asked, because when I bought my second one is why I found out the answer. The original mounts placed the GYRE motor so close to the glass that it pinched the cord which led to the tears and rips you've just read about. Also those mounts made the unit noisy. The second release fixed this problem. Maxpect or Coralvue, forgot who, gave us all upgrades that complained.

Basically look at the way the cord sits when mounted, if it's tight pass.

BioMan

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
57   0   0
Since getting the gyre I now have a problem with red slime. Really bizarre. Was debating on using it for my next build or switching to mp's and joining the rest of the crowd...

...Somebody else said the same thing and I cant firgure out why that happens to you guys. Are you saying you've got a dead zone now?

Thanks for that info!! I wanted order one online but not sure who might have the "newer" version

Glad you asked, because when I bought my second one is why I found out the answer. The original mounts placed the GYRE motor so close to the glass that it pinched the cord which led to the tears and rips you've just read about. Also those mounts made the unit noisy. The second release fixed this problem. Maxpect or Coralvue, forgot who, gave us all upgrades that complained.

Basically look at the way the cord sits when mounted, if it's tight pass.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: