dzuckerm

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Weird Tubes Growing on my Rock

Well my tank has been up and running for 3 months now and everything has been going great (thanks to all ur guys' help). I've noticed over the past couple of weeks that these tuibular structures have been growing on my rock. They dont move at all, so I don't really think they're worms. Anyone know what these are? And are they bad?
Worms.JPG

Worms2.JPG

Last edited:
D

DEEPWATER

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Thats some type of algea ,,Jung (Gforce) has them in his tank as well

they are white from the bas and green on top and fuzzy too ,,,i still dont know what type of algea or plant it may be ,,but it will get all ofver the tank ,so if you dont like them ,take out that rock before it spreads

reefman

Chairman of the board
Rating - 100%
66   0   0
i've seem them also at gforce. i think they are shape like upside down J. bright green with white on top or bottom(i can't remember). I think gforce said they r some type of macro algea. i don't think anything will eat it.

Deanos

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
194   0   0
reefman said:
i don't think anything will eat it.
I had 2 emerald crabs that ate that algae like hot dogs. :eat: Completely cleared my former tank of that algae.

Also note, it spread more aggressively when I tried cut them off the rocks :headache:; don't leave ANY remnants on the rock!

meschaefer

One to Ignore
Rating - 100%
30   0   0
I have had them pop up in my tank on two occasions, as well. They never lasted long. I had an emerald crab at the time, but don't know for sure that he was the culprit.

dzuckerm

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Yes thats basically how they look...curved, green with a white furry tip. I guess I will go out and pick up a couple of emerald crabs. I have some assorted crabs (not sure if i have any emeralds), as well as a yellow and hippo tang (they show no interest in eating it). Thanks Guys!

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: